ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky yet another Grounding Q - 04/20/01 11:29 AM
I would like to install a simple service in GRC pipe. Can i install the GEC from the meter in this pipe to gain entry into the dwelling?

got code?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/20/01 01:51 PM
Yes. You can install the GEC in the same conduit as the service entrance conductors.
See article 230-7, exception No. 1.
Posted By: sparky Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/20/01 04:28 PM
Thanks Mike,

do you feel there are conflictions in 250 ?
[Linked Image]

i am interested in point of view here,

(for those posters that see my repetitive grounding inquires)
Posted By: Glenn Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/20/01 08:22 PM
Be sure to abide by 250-64(e) for each metal enclosure that the GEC passes through.

Glenn
Posted By: Tom Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/20/01 10:42 PM
Sparky,

I'll give you one of the violations that I cite in a service of this nature. I save this one for the folks who give me a hard time about correcting other violations of a serious nature. See 310-3, which requires conductors #8 & larger to be stranded if installed in raceways.

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/21/01 12:21 AM
hmmmm,
i'm tying to think of the last time i saw or used larger solid wire! I'd have to agree with that code Tom, it's a bear to put in pipe, at least of any length.

anyways, the GEC discussions always seem to incite the 'lightning' angle. Do you guys see any related problems here?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/21/01 12:32 AM
Tom,
Look at the exception to 310-3 and then look at 250-62. The exception says "as permitted or required elsewhere in this code". 250-62 permits the GEC to be a soild conductor without a size restriction.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: sparky Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/21/01 01:12 AM
ok, let's go there!

Let's install a 200A simple meter, GRC down JB in thru sill plate, beat a #4 cu solid thru it( just to be difficult) bonding bushings at both pipe ends. GEC enters panel , has to bond at the pipe end entering, make to the term strip the MBJ is at, then exit the panel ( not sure how to bond there?) and down to G-rods, onto h20 pipe.

i'm thinking this may be nec compliant,yet electrically flawed in the nec's intent for a GEC
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/21/01 01:46 PM
Don,

You're absolutely correct. I'll have to delete this one from my list.

Tom
Posted By: zapped1012 Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/22/01 01:14 AM
sparky, why do you want to do it the hard way? you only need to bond the grc at one end. either at the meter socket or main panelboard. then #6 to the rod and #4 to the water pipe from the panelboard. our utility here does not the gec in the meter socket.
Posted By: sparky Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/22/01 06:02 PM
well zap,

i'd want to apply 250-64-(e) 2nd sentence , if it applies at all. we have a wire serving all 3 functions in 250 here. bond, EGC, GEC for certain points as run, so it's definitionally interesting.there is also the issue of 'parralleling', if it were to enter the panel it has to make on!.... but hey! if i've missed a code please point it out to me, as unpalatable as it may be, chewing over a missed code is condusive to climbin' the bell curve!

it's not easy being a groundaholic!
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 04-22-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/23/01 04:55 AM
Sparky,

I'm not sure exactly why, but I don't think your installation would pass around here at least not without some serious head scratching. I can't cite you a Code section though. You would seem to have 3 parallel paths going on here. I don't know if that's a good idea.

(Under 'Normal' circumstances) When installing a Meter-main We are required to lift the bond from Neutral to Service panel and treat it as a subpanel. The GEC would then go from a point in Meter-Main Enclosure to Waterpipe directly. .. Why?

Bill
Posted By: Mike Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/23/01 01:44 PM
Understanding the NEC grounding requirements is truly the hardest code subject. Makes me grind me teeth sometimes. Ouch!
Posted By: sparky Re: yet another Grounding Q - 04/23/01 09:43 PM
Mike,
i've got stubs!
especially since 250 was [revised]
since the entire code has a continous line, how can one tell the changes from 96' to 99'? No, i don't mean the cross-ref appendix, i mean all the small, one-sylable-change-the-whole-meaning stuff!
Bill;
this, to me, is a good example of why 90-1 should be applied for lack of a code section. How many parrallel's does the NEC permit? It's not a good idea at all, it's a bad idea!

thanks for all the input guys, i'll pipe down now , maybe go have a brewski......

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums