ECN Forum
Question from my wife. Do they make a handrail you can install in ungrounded (non conductive) cups?
They are having a problem because old folks are requiring handrails where they were not planned in construction.
No bond wire available.
This company in Florida says their Fiberglass rails are non conductive and meet or exceed code. they have above ground mounting bases

In their Faq there is a response why they have been tested and bonding is not required.

http://www.saftron.com/products/pool/pool-rails.html
Thanks. I am surprised the inspector never heard of them. I will pass this along.
No problem, just had a few minutes to kill and found them in Google search.
I saw them too. I was really hoping for a happy AHJ story. wink

Maybe retrofitting handrails is just a Florida thing.
Greg:
I've seem two (2) replacement rails that were installed, and had documentation for being non-conductive (UL)

Both were at HOAs pools earlier this year. Ironically, they were both installed to existing cups that passed the pool bonding certification test about 2 weeks before they were installed. Expensive item? I heard $750+.

Retested after they were installed, and cups were approved as 'pass'. Guess they had $$$ to burn.
OK Thanks John.
These will be new cups and all but that company says they have non-metallic cups too. I assume you had no issues with the strength of the rail?
Greg:
The Building and Health inspectors had no issues.
I felt it, and it was solid. No flex.

© ECN Electrical Forums