ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 12:01 AM
Are there any posts where the new 2014 NEC is being discussed?
Posted By: electure Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 03:05 AM
Joe,

The advanced search tool would be able to answer your question better than any of us would.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 03:18 AM
We had a thread started but not any real activity. My guess is there are so many people still stuck on the 2008 that 2014 seems pretty far off.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 06:15 AM
Thank you, I did not find any posts. Please set up a new subject for the 2014 NEC. I am sure some here will want to know about the changes. I also have information concerning my State of Massachusetts revisions now accepted. One interesting item is that 110.24 is deleted.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
We had a thread started but not any real activity. My guess is there are so many people still stuck on the 2008 that 2014 seems pretty far off.

California is going to start digesting the 2011 next month.
I need to reload the 2011 back on my computer after a restore, & buy a hard copy, much easier to look stuff up in a real book. The 2008 changes got me POed & quit buying them as soon as they came out, need to restart that practice.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 09:08 AM
110.24 was new in 2011. It is interesting that when we adopt the 11, the 14 will already have voided a rule we adopt.

I have said this many times, they really need to stretch out the NEC cycle to at least 5 years and maybe more like 10. They can fix the glitches with TIAs. We have too many jurisdictions that never even get to see the new cycles before proposals are closed. This is particularly bad when you have a unified state code that incorporates the NEC and the "I" codes, which are on different cycles. Toss in the normal bureaucratic inertia and you have a state being a whole cycle plus a little behind on the day of adoption.
Posted By: Tesla Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 10:35 AM
The NEC has been morphed from improving safety to improving the economic performance/ market development of various interests -- the ability to find flaws in the Code is becoming ever more marginal as experience is won.

Perversely, the trade is force feeding technical improvements before they are ready. The smart logic behind AFCI breakers has already evidenced troubles in some devices.

It's better to adopt the medical motto: do no harm.

====

If there's one ambit that I'd like to see advanced -- it's further expansion of EUSERC.

Founded to stop Poco fatalities -- at the SERVICE -- EUSERC has greatly expanded since 1945.

I hope and pray that its design mandates become ever more widely adopted.

I've lost track of the SERVICES who've been posted here at ECN that are not EUSERC compliant.

Getting too creative with SERVICES -- in an attempt to pinch pennies -- drastically increases risk -- all the way around. So much so, that I am constantly amazed that EUSERC standards have not rolled all the way across the nation.

From this day forward, the single most advantageous change is to shift from overhead to underground residential power distribution. It's outside the Code -- because it's a Poco issue, but it's where many troubles lie. Now that horizontal boring is so cost effective, one can only hope that the shift is finally made -- even in older neighborhoods.

====

As for Code updates: dang if I have never come across any Code headache worthy of my submission. Millions of man-years of engineering seem to have exhausted all of the obvious mistakes.

I must commend the Committee for cleaning up the Code -- making it much more accessible to rapid resolution in the field.

The international codes are largely written to trip up the North American code writers -- on purely economic grounds.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 12/17/13 06:04 PM
I had a proposal "accepted in principle" a few cycles ago (about LEDs in closets). They ended up using a meld of several proposals.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2014 NEC - 12/18/13 02:42 AM
As in the past, NJ may adopt the '14 in '15 with amendments. Our CEUs are based on the '14 changes (9 hrs) before the trienial lic, renewal.

Depending on the project, the '08 is in effect for 'Rehab' and the '11 for everything else. Throw in the '14 changes, and you have 3 cycles floating in your heads.

Last I read, Bill decided to keep the code discussions in the Code Forum, inlieu of a "2014 NEC Section"
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 12/18/13 05:03 AM
Has anything changed in the 2014 NEC about higher voltage PV systems?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 12/18/13 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by harold endean
Has anything changed in the 2014 NEC about higher voltage PV systems?

NECA Article by Mark Ode

Article 690, which covers solar photovoltaic systems, has been totally revised for the new NEC with easier to understand and use text; the requirements also have been placed in a more logical order to make it easier to use the article. 
 - See more at: http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-...er-new-nec#sthash.Qn5OsDBN.dKaj8SbW.dpuf
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 12/21/13 08:44 PM
Joe,

How are you doing my friend? I just had a class about swimming pools taught by someone from the IAEI from Dallas Texas, I believe was his hometown. He knew you, but I don't have his card here with me, It is in my office.

It is funny, now that I have become an AHJ both Electrical Contractor magazine, and EC&M will no longer send me their magazines.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 12/21/13 09:12 PM
Joe,

How are you doing my friend? I just had a class about swimming pools taught by someone from the IAEI from Dallas Texas, I believe was his hometown. He knew you, but I don't have his card here with me, It is in my office.

It is funny, now that I have become an AHJ both Electrical Contractor magazine, and EC&M will no longer send me their magazines.

http://www.iaei.org/?author_loflandkeith

He is the author of many articles and code change programs. I am fine semi retired having fun too, got me some new toys as well. Can you talk about when we discussed the certification process as the SSE?

Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 12/31/13 06:25 PM
Joe,

That's right it was Keith and he did tell m e to say Hello to you. What would you like me to say about the certification process? Would you like me to tell everyone here how well a teacher you were to the likes of Sheriff, Wiz, Caper, DP and ET? Would you like me to tell everyone that after your mentoring, we all got our certifications as licensed electrical inspectors from the IAEI? Because if that's what you want, I would be more than happy to tell everyone that. smile
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 12/31/13 06:38 PM
Harold: Thanks for the kind words! I try to encourage the new electrical inspectors to go after the IAEI certifications for the three 2A, 2B, and 2C certificates, and they are required to be updated for each code cycle. When you and the others took the examination they were administered by another agency. I will find the new bulletin of information and post it here. Remember I just helped a bit; you and the others did the rest and passed!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 12/31/13 10:28 PM
I was a little disappointed to find Florida did not recognize IAEI. I ended up having to do it all over with SBCCI.
It was easy tho since it is basically all the same stuff.

It was two 3 hour tests. I did the commercial in an hour and a half and I was in my car 45 minutes after I started the residential test.
I had a good teacher.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 01/01/14 11:50 AM
Thanks Greg! Probably was because of the almighty dollar at the State level. Are you planning on attending any update classes for the new code?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 01/01/14 06:24 PM
The "new code" here will be the 2011. I haven't seen anything locally on the 2014.
I am still keeping my license up so I do get plenty of CEUs.
I am a member of ECF these days because they are a lot closer for me. It is more oriented toward contractors but there are still a number of inspectors in the group.
Our IAEI chapter has their meetings about 50 miles away and it just got to be tough for me to justify driving 100 miles for lunch. The ECF has their meetings at Bass Pro Shop, just up thew road. They still get good speakers and they always have deals on CEUs.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 01:31 AM
Greg:

I did IAEI in '91 and had to do NJ in '92....
Did all 3 State tests in 1 day....
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 02:42 AM
I did the 2A, B and C the same day.
The SBCCI were one day too.
That just seems to be the way they run the ETS road shows here.
They move every day.
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 04:31 AM
John,

After Joe T tutored the SS, here in NJ the Wiz and I took our 2A and 2B test and the Sheriff met us here. We all went out for lunch. Then I went back for me 2C test and passed that one too. Then Joe sent us IAEI certificates and enrolled us in the UL membership. I still get their news letters and the IAEI magazine.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 02:44 PM
Harold

Have you kept up with the updates required by IAEI to keep those certifications active for each code cycle?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 05:58 PM
Look here for information concerning IAEI certifications.
www.prometric.com/ncpcci
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2014 NEC - 01/02/14 08:24 PM
Harold:
Going down memory lane, I did IAEI membership way, way back as a 'favor' to Joe Pachana, the Chief Electrcal Inspector in Newark back then.

He was doing a member drive! I was just a sparky working for 0005 back then.

IAEI vanished over the years.....no more renewals, no more magazines....
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 01/03/14 06:20 PM
Joe,

I still keep up my NJ HHS license and also me IAEI "plan Reviewer" license. I figured that if I retire here and move out of state, I might find some part time work in another state as an AHJ. I think some state will honor NJ lic and if not, the IAEI is still in my back pocket.
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 01/03/14 06:22 PM
John,

As an AHJ both E.C.&M and Electrical Contractor no longer send me their magazine. I guess I don't count anymore. The thing I liked about them was that I got to look at the new electrical products. I could read about them, so when they appeared in the field, I would know a little bit about them.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2014 NEC - 01/03/14 09:01 PM
Harold:
EC mag still is in my mail box every month. EC&M has been MIA for a long, long time......

I also intend to maintain all my licenses, EC (w/o business permit), Elec Inspector ICS/HHS/Subcode/Construction Official, PA Electrical Inspector & IAEI. Ya never know.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 01/04/14 10:45 AM
Every cycle I debate letting my license lapse but in the end I have usually racked up enough CEUs to renew (except sometimes the law or ethics course) so I sign on, get that and send the state the money.
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 01/11/14 03:30 AM
I maintain my EC obligations by taking the 10 hour update course for the EC lic. but I don't know if I will ever go back to that. I am getting older and slower and I doubt that I can work fast enough to make money anymore. As it is, I only need another 5 years and I will have 20 under my belt as an AHJ. Also these new codes are sometimes getting more and more frustrating in MHO. I think I would like to go somewhere were things are more simple.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2014 NEC - 01/11/14 07:07 PM
Come on Harold, I know you love it here in NJ!! We love 'simple'!!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2014 NEC - 01/12/14 03:13 AM
I would like to go somewhere were things are more simple.

... as long as it is not across the GW bridge wink
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2014 NEC - 01/12/14 06:17 PM
John,

YEAH! SIMPLE! smile You have to love this state. It seems like when ever I leave this state, I always find someone who USED to live here, But no more! smile
© ECN Electrical Forums