ECN Forum
Posted By: drgnz23 Liquid tight flex - 04/09/13 08:26 PM
a have a dumb question...Can you run liquid tight flex through stucco? One of our technicians install a light fixture but ran LT flex through stucco and itsonly about 8 inches.I was trying to find something in the code book.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/09/13 09:45 PM
Sealtite is only suitable for above ground and direct burial installations.

It says so right on the material.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/10/13 01:51 AM
Why not?

356.10 Uses Permitted.
(7) For encasement in concrete where listed for direct burial and installed in compliance with 356.42.

Not really relevant but ...

356.42 Couplings and Connectors.
Only fittings listed for use with LFNC shall be used. Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations. Straight LFNC fittings are permitted for direct burial or encasement in concrete.

They usually use smurf here if it can be called interior (like the back of a pancake) but I see LFNC if there is a question.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/10/13 02:24 AM
Stucco/concrete debate coming soon??

I see no issue with the LFMC or the LFNC as long as the connectors are straight.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/10/13 04:03 AM
Stucco is basically concrete without the gravel. Any concerns with damage to the wiring method is the same.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/10/13 01:08 PM
I've tried very hard for the past day, and I cannot think of any location that is not either above ground or in the ground.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/11/13 12:59 AM
Possibly...a 'Black Hole', or another dimension??
Posted By: electure Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/12/13 11:55 PM

smile Underwater isn't above ground or direct burial??
Posted By: Tesla Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/13/13 01:01 AM
I posted about Sealtite because I'm constantly running into journeymen, foremen and contractors who are unaware that it's appropriate for most applications -- particularly to include direct burial.

As electure correctly notes, it's not for use in the ocean -- nor is it NASA rated.

Like MI, it's big fault is that it's not cheap.

BTW, angled fittings are not acceptable in buried work. That would also include encased work, too.

Posted By: wewire2 Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/13/13 01:27 AM
Speaking of angled fittings. I made an instinctive call last week on a job. I saw an angle fitting installed in the back of a box. The fitting would be in the wall so I said " Hey! you can't use that fitting like that in the wall". Only problem was that it was MC cable. DER.....
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/13/13 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by electure

smile Underwater isn't above ground or direct burial??

Underwater is a wet location in regard to wiring methods. If you are talking about enclosures, you get into the NEMA rating, typically NEMA 6 for underwater.

The two places you see this the most, wiring for boat lifts and the wet niche pool light.

I see no reason why you couldn't use sealtite underwater, although not for that pool light. (not one of the specified wiring methods in 680.23(B)(2))

In fact it is one of the wiring methods in 553.7 and 682.13. 555.13(A)(1) says any chapter 3 wet location wiring method.
The NEC does not differentiate between a pond or the ocean.
Posted By: electure Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/13/13 08:34 PM

"Underwater isn't above ground or direct burial??"

I was responding to Tesla's claim "Sealtite is only suitable for above ground and direct burial installations", which I didn't agree with.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/13/13 09:42 PM
Underwater is above ground unless it is buried on the bottom.

Again, we see that in boat lifts. The outboard lift plate will be wired under water most of the time and they try to actually get the raceway under the mud on the bottom if they can, for extra protection.

Next time I am out on the boat I will get you some pictures.
Posted By: mikethebull Re: Liquid tight flex - 04/19/13 03:23 AM
Do you realize that liquitite is Art. 350 in 2011 NEC and can be used in exposed or concealed locations.
© ECN Electrical Forums