ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 10/07/12 01:55 PM
I recently rewired a small house, and installed 46 of Leviton's tamper-resistant receptacles. This was my first major experience with them, and this is my report.

Devices were both Ivory and White, so we know there was at least two production runs involved.

My experience has been: insertion of 2-prong plugs can be problematic, especially if this is the first time the receptacle has been used. Even three-prong plugs seem to 'pause' the first time the receptacle is used.

Mind you, I AM talking about new appliances with UL listings. We're not talking about damaged / worn plugs or ancient stuff made before the TR standard existed.

I suspect that there's a wee bit of plastic flash within, that needs to be torn free for the shutters to open the first time.

I also suspect that the larger neutral blade on the 2-prong plugs is the cause of the insertion difficulties. The larger prong wants to enter first - as designed - and that can be just enough to lock up the shutters. Again, this varies by appliance, and seems to lessen after the receptacle is used a few times.

I'm not surprised; the neutral blades have been deliberately engineered to be larger and to make contact first. The receptacles are designed to require the prongs to enter at the same time.

We have two "in the name of safety" doctrines in conflict.

All I can suggest is that you use your plug-in tester to check EVERY receptacle for function, and explain this to the customer.

Opinion: TR needs to fade away. (OK, it wasn't very hard to persuade me!)
They will just have to get better. These things never go away.
Unfortunately, just like AFCI 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, the customer is stuck with what they had to buy at the time, unless they want to buy new ones.

Call it job security.
Posted By: twh Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 10/07/12 06:29 PM
The first ones I installed were almost unusable. I wonder if they were better after the first couple uses, or if I broke them.
I have always been a big fan of electrical safety and the code has come a long way since it fit on one page but I think we are reaching the point of diminishing returns. We are coming up with expensive fixes to address a small fraction of a percentage of accidents.
I suppose if NFPA can't write a new code every 3 years, they would be out of a job. I am starting to think it is more about jobs and selling books than safety.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 10/08/12 10:31 AM
Have not dealt with TR Receptacles yet.
When I do get the honor to do so, will take the above listed "Break-In" scenarios in to consideration.

-- Scott (EE)
Posted By: KJay Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 10/09/12 02:56 PM
The Cooper TR duplex receptacles that I used for one new house were pretty smooth operating, as well as the Leviton TR duplex, but the Leviton TR GFCI receptacles had that noticeable restriction the first time I used them. The P&S decorator TR receptacles I used for one kitchen remodel were also not so hot. They were made in China and had that same noticeable restriction when the plug-in tester was initially installed for the first time. After a good push and some wiggling, followed by a slight plastic pop or tick sound coming from within the receptacle, the tester could then be inserted and removed without any restriction. The other bad thing about these P&S receptacles was that the metal yokes were made very thin and would flex so much that even when properly installed, the thermoset wall plates could still sometimes crack when you did your initial plug-in testing at finish. I used to really like P&S, but won't be using those again.
I know it adds time to the trim but maybe you should do the initial "break" in with the receptacle on the floor before you install it. Then you can lean on it without stressing the yoke and if it is actually defective you are not wasting time putting it in and taking it out.
I recently renovated my sons bedroom and installed hubbell homeselect TR receptacles. There doesn't seem to be a break in period for these. It is extremely difficult to plug anything in. My 7yr old son got a shock trying to plug in a charger. He knows how to plug something in without getting a shock and I truely beleive that he only got shocked because these TR receptacles are so hard to use.
Greg,

You know how I feel about those things. I don't believe the manufactures should be allowed to write the NEC, unless it is only about the parts of the NEC referring to construction of the equipment. Too many times a manufacture develops a new piece of equipment and then before you know it, it is the code as a requirement.
Also let me add something, there are many good things out there like GFI receptacles and breakers, but enough is enough. Also the code should be on a five year cycle instead of 3 in my opinion.
The P&S TR outlets I used in my daughters old preschool were all commercial grade, but they seemed to be the easiest to insert a cordcap into of anything I've come across. I tried a couple Levitons before from the Depot. (decora and resi duplex) and had a helluva time getting anything into them.. I finally grabbed a NIB Hubbell cordcap and slammed it through. Half the shutters stayed open.. dunno The yoke on anything resi is pretty flimsy IMO.. I've used a couple Cooper TR GFIs (Bought a 3 pack) one didn't want to reset from the start, one was hard to get anything in the lower recept and the other one worked fine... I've yet to try a Hubbell/Bryant TR..

I agree the NFPA should put the NEC on a 5 year cycle it would give more time for new products & procedures to " sink in" . Between TR & AFCI's it just raises prices on the customers making it harder to get more jobs.
Now there's a thought ... maybe I should propose a new, very first sentance to the NEC:

Proposal: That the first sentence of the NEC will read: A product SHALL be available on the consumer (retail) market for at least ten years before proposals are accepted mandating the use of that product under the NEC."

Second sentence: At no point will any part of this code be construed to require the use of any proprietary or patent-protected product.

"FPN: The purpose of this restriction is to prevent manufacturers from using "safety" as a means for manipulating the code into requiring the use of their products. Products should have been proven in the field, and accepted by the free market, prior to using the heavy hand of code enforcement to require their use.

These things seem to be hit and miss, no matter what brand I'm stuck installing and then testing. Any of the residential models will sometimes bend back on first use/test and sometimes snap the plate right off (which is fun when you used all the plates already!), while some it's like they're not even TR. I do like Greg's idea of carrying around a cord cap or tester to break them in before installing them though!

I bought some spec. grade Levitons to install in my parents' house here once I get the circuits mapped out and add GFCI's for the ungrounded circuits. Hopefully they're not hard to use or I will never hear the end of it.
Reno,

I like your idea, I too feel that products should be out in the field long enough to prove their worthiness before requiring them.
OK, I've been using these tamper-resisting devices for some time now. Most of my appliances are new, so their plugs ought to comply with the latest standards. Every device has been used several times, so it should be well 'broken in.'

Phooey!

A case in point: I relocated a portable fan the other day ... then later returned it to its' original location. The plug simply would not open the shutters of the receptacle where it had been before. Only after dozens of tries was I able to get it to work.

Heck, I've come closer to touching the plug prongs as i wrestle with the damn things than I ever did before they were made "safer."

I've had this happen a few other times. Trust me- there's no dirt, no environmental factors, no damaged plugs to blame.

I am seriously thinking of saying 'the hell with the code' and installing good, old-fashioned "normal" receptacles.
If it's in your own home, I say go for it John. The only TR outlets in my house are a P&S GFI/night light in my master bath and the Legrand "adorne" outlet I installed in the kitchen for S&G. No ones life has ended...

BTW Both of those devices seem to work fairly well. The GFI was a little difficult at the beginning but after a year of Kara slamming her hair dryer plug through the shutters they now open no problem. The Adorne outlet worked fairly easily from the start, but they're $$$$ I'm sure very few are going to pony up for.

Randy, that's not going to be enough.

My devices were purchased, in quantity, from a "box" store. (Sad to say, but the local supply house does not carry devices in white!). They are Leviton brand.

If Leviton can't make these things right ... or, conversely, if appliance makers can't make plugs to sufficiently close tolerances ... IMO, the requirement needs to be removed from the NEC.

I know I shall be using every means at my disposal to fight this requirement- at both the local and national levels.

I hope this report of my experience will inspire others to add their voices to the cause. I'm sick & tired of fancy engineers' promises that just don't perform as promised- how dare they think they can rule the rest of us!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 06/24/14 11:50 PM
Gentlemen:
My wife has been complaining about the TR receptacles & GFIs in the kitchen and bath for about two years now.

Not an every day complaint,but enough times over the two years. I replaced two 20 amp GFIs with Leviton units and that seems to help. I replaced the bath GFI with a P&S 20 amp that I got as a 'sample'; that lasted one night only.

BTW,the kitchenis 'Almond' and all almond is not created equal.

I had a few instances doing inspections where I could not get a bug-eye tester into a GFI, and the Ideal Inspector would not plug-in either. Electrician tried; same results. He replaced it & all aws well.

IMHO, quality control may be an issue.

I'll add my voice to your cause Reno; these things are a PITA.
This is simply another case of manufactures on the CMPs ramming stuff into the code before they can actually deliver a reliable product.

Perhaps if someone like the CPSC would require that they recall all of the non-performing or obsoleted products at their cost, they would not be in such a hurry to get them in the code.
I would start with all of the obsolete AFCIs the public was forced to buy before they were perfected (as if they are perfect now).
These things should be optional until they work well enough to create a market.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 06/26/14 02:04 AM
The TR devices have a place, mainly child care type facilities.

Mandating TR as the Code now does,is IMHO unnecessary.

But, it is 'code' and we have to live with them.
Posted By: NickD Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 07/03/14 07:40 AM
It's the disease of this era - "You better keep plowing ahead with new safety devices, OR ELSE! We don't care if they're not actually reducing injuries or if they're making your life hell."

You have to wonder why the majority isn't stopping themselves and asking "What the Sam Hill are we doing to ourselves?"

The TR recepts are obviously a specialty device, to the unbiased observer. They're receptacles with a permanent child safety feature - no one else is going to be "tampering" with a receptacle, that doesn't deserve the consequences! clap

Put TRRs in childcare centers and anywhere else young children will be indefinitely present... and require them nowhere else.

All in all... the TRRs are a perfect example of the poor state of codewriting, manufacturing and design principles. The basic forcing function (a design buzzword) of the receptacle is built on sheer ignorance. Even very recent polarized plug prongs come in a variety of shapes and sizes, likely half of which don't play well with TRRs. The same goes for grounding prongs, to an extent - they are not always the longest prong.

If I was going to play devil's advocate, I would say TRs might actually be more dangerous to a child who makes a conscious effort to defeat one. It requires them to have an object in both sides of the circuit, probably one in each hand.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 07/04/14 01:56 AM
Greg:

I wonder now that you put the above on the table, IF anyone thought of that!

I could see a child in a resi setting have more oppertunity to follow your scenario, then a child in a supervised child care facility.

A curious child, presented with a puzzle can be a powerful force.
I feel the same way about trigger locks on guns.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Tamper Resistant Devices: My Experience - 07/04/14 04:01 AM
Small device motion is a positive attractor for toddlers.

In economic terms, TR receptacles are a total loser.

GFCI make more sense.
There's an ad campaign that asks us to look at various social issues through the "lens of liberty."

Let's apply that to the NEC. Just how much of it would pass that test? How much is well-meaning fluff that we can do just fine without? How much of the NEC is dedicated to correcting messes brought about by the NEC itself?

Let's get these TR requirements off the books.
© ECN Electrical Forums