ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/01/12 05:31 AM
There is a concern on an existing installation where the meter and outdoor load center are approximately 7 feet from the inside wall of an in ground pool. Looking thru 680 I see no violation, not even a requirement to include it in the equipotential bonding as it is not within 5 feet of the inside wall. Am I correct?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/01/12 05:04 PM
I think you are right but look up. Where is the service drop?
Posted By: BigB Re: Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/01/12 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I think you are right but look up. Where is the service drop?

The service conductors are piped across the roof for 25 feet then there is a 90 up with a weatherhead. Adjacent to this weatherhead there is a service mast fastened to the building to support the overhead, keeping it 25' from the water. It is not pretty.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/01/12 09:25 PM
It sounds legal tho... sometimes the law ain't pretty wink

Was any consideration given to raceways on a roof? (derating)
Posted By: BigB Re: Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/02/12 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It sounds legal tho... sometimes the law ain't pretty wink

Was any consideration given to raceways on a roof? (derating)

I doubt it since my area just started enforcing derating for ambient last year, and this installation is at least 30 years old. This brings up something I have been wondering about, when de-rating residential service conductors would you start with the ampacities listed in table 310.15(B)(6)?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Meter & load center proximity to pool - 09/02/12 04:51 PM
That is why I was curious.
310.15(B)(2)(c) refers you to 310.16
I am not sure what you do with (B)(6) service feeders. I was wondering what size they ended up with.
© ECN Electrical Forums