ECN Forum
Posted By: crselectric afci/gfci protection for 2 wire recepts. - 05/29/12 11:26 PM
I'm doing a service change at a Cal. house that has had all its 2 wire K&T recept.s swapped for ungrounded 3wire recept....Will a combo Afci/Gfci bkr meet with no equipment ground label. or do I have to put gfci prot label as well, HO is trying to sell house, or do I talk him into replacing with non-ground TR's 2010 CEC, thanks Chris I have not done any rewiring ex. refeed the closet fuse box to splices only. C
My question is will a combo afci/gfci breaker meet the gfci req. for replaced receptacles on K&T circuits, also has anyone seen tamper resist. 2-wire recept.s
I have not seen any TR two wire receptacles, and none are in the P&S literature I have.

I have to ask....why TR?? Is that a CEC thing?
My question is will a combo afci/gfci breaker meet the gfci req. for replaced receptacles on K&T circuits, also has anyone seen tamper resist. 2-wire recept.s
Oh the Inspector has stated on a corr. notice that recept.s be two-wire of TR type, for all replaced knob and tube outlets. The Homeowner bought the place with the plugs already replaced, I guess it passed the selling inspection 13 years ago when he bought it. He's now trying to make the service safer instead of being in a cabinet at grade with the gas meter, opened a can of worms
or gfci protected and labeled no eq. ground, gfci prot.,
I think a GFCI breaker would allow replacement with the TR 5-15s.
406.3(D)(3)(c) in 2008 406.3(D)(2)(c) in 2011

(c) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.

The requirement for AFCI would be a local call. A breaker incorporating both should work

The 2011 code requires this effective 1/1/14
406.3(D)(4)
thanks greg, I do believe he was stating the 2008 code for TR recept.s but also didnt write a correction but said all convenience receptacles should be afci protected. but that was for new circuits, and all I've run are circuits to refeed the old fuse panel,
AFCI on old work seems to be all over the place depending on how your "rehab/existing building" codes are written and what your AHJ wants. I usually avoid trying to guess what the local guys want. If the 2011 is adopted and they leave 406.3 intact a lot of that indecision will go away. You will be doing AFCI and GFCI on any replacements after 1/1/14 the way I read it.
© ECN Electrical Forums