ECN Forum
Posted By: SJT Transformer wiring - 02/19/11 05:53 PM
In regard to the NEC, could a 225KVA transformer be used to only feed a 200 amp/208 V 3 phase panel with a main breaker. If such a transformer was to be used, then what size primary protection would be needed? Would I wire it as if it were a 75KVA transformer and rate the primary and secondary accordingly? It's a strange request from a customer. In the future he may run the proper size primary and secondary conductors, to get the max out of the 225 KVA trans.
Thanks - Good Day
SJT
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Transformer wiring - 02/19/11 09:59 PM
The way I understand it you use primary protection that protects the transformer and secondary protection to protect the installed secondary conductors.
Posted By: George Little Re: Transformer wiring - 02/20/11 03:02 AM
Need to know how long the Secondary conductors to see if they qualify for the 10' rule mentioned in 240.21(C)(2) or possibly 240.21(C)(3) or 240.21(C)(3). Is it a single voltage secondary qualifying under 240.21(C)(1)? Basically if the xformer is has 225 KVA capacity and you only want to use it at 75KVA there is no problem and the sizing of the primary conductors should be sized to match the secondary load taking in to considration the voltage ratio and maybe an extra 25% would be a good idea to keep the fuses from clearing on start up. There is no need to protect the secondary of the xformer, just the secondary conductors.
Posted By: SJT Re: Transformer wiring - 02/20/11 05:03 PM
Thanks,
I never wired a large transformer to a smaller rating than what it could put out.
Sounds like I'll be OK. I have to check the connection points for the x1, H1, etc. to make sure we use the proper lugs and bolt sizes.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Transformer wiring - 03/04/11 08:20 AM
On the economics....

A 225 kVA XFMR is huge. Regardless of the true load it will bleed energy to sustain its magnetic circuit.

Correct sizing would mean a XFMR of 75kVA.

So you're bleeding off 225/75 = 3 times as much parasitic losses as would be nominal.

Do run your calculations.

BTW 3 is the lower bound.

Power cost being what it is -- you'd very likely be much better off scrapping/ reselling the gear and downsizing to a new/used transformer.

Talk to Salinger and others in the used electrical equipment market. You'll have your eyes opened.

http://www.salingerelectric.com/

© ECN Electrical Forums