ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Structual requirements?? - 01/13/11 08:00 PM
I've run across 2 separate jobs where the homeowner wanted to run power to a detached building that was questionable in it's structual integrity. Does anyone know what the requirements are of a building so it can have electricity run to it?? I'm talking about fire rated siding, etc...
How about a typical ancient barn or building with "very old" curling weatherboard?? I had one homeowner say that they knew it wouldn't pass inspection. I would like to know so I can be on the "ups" when ask to run power to a building like this... Thanks... Steve
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Structual requirements?? - 01/13/11 08:12 PM
I would treat it like power in a damp location if you can't be sure the structure is really weatherproof (Bell box and snap cover). GFCI is required anyway so that is not an issue.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Structual requirements?? - 01/14/11 04:10 AM
Well, it it won't pass inspection good luck on the electrical permit...

It would be a judgement call. One place could be dry, while othersare damp. The link may help you some it is a UL guide

UL Guide for Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ)

In general if the building is on residential property, the recepts need to be GFCI protected.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Structual requirements?? - 01/14/11 04:28 AM
In my county the inspectors will have a fairly blind eye toward existing violations if they are not within the scope of the new, permitted work. I suppose it is just a way not to scare off people who want to get permits on old houses.
I assume they wouldn't walk away from a serious safety issue tho. I am still not sure how they tag it.
When I was working, I found that if you could explain the hazard well enough, they would fix it, even without invoking the power of the tag.
© ECN Electrical Forums