ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Above Ground Pools - 06/07/10 01:26 PM
I wanted this to be different from the other post I had about pools.

Has anyone saw or heard about a metal plate that gets installed in the "thru-wall" skimmer to satisfy sec. 680.26 of the NEC?

I also seen where there is a metal coupling attached to the pool motor just before the water enters into the pool filter. That is bonded to the grounding grid.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/07/10 02:51 PM
Yes Harold the plate gizmo exists. A local pool/spa store provided a sample for a 'look-see-feel' Shoot me a PM/Email for the name if you want it.

Basically, a curved metal plate & gasket with a bonding stud attached. Locate in skimmer, drill hole for stud & mounting hdwe, install gasket, etc.

It has a UL label.

I have not seen a 'pipe' with a UL label, but I have seen a lot of creative engineering methods to 'bond the water'.

Posted By: harold endean Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/14/10 02:11 PM
John,

I will shoot you an e-mail when I get home, I just have to remember that "WHEN I get home." I always seem to remember when I am here at work, but get me home and DUH! I forgot! smile
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/14/10 06:48 PM
Send yourself an email (at your home account) to remind you to send John an email ;-)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/14/10 07:09 PM
For Harold and those others that may want to know...

Item is mfg by JM Products Inc, Canton Ma 02021

I don't have a web link yet, but Google may work.

Item is stainless steel with gasket & lug for 680.26. It is UL listed according to the cut sheet in my face.

Try www.bondsafe680.com

We have a local source here in the Twp I work in.

Posted By: harold endean Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/16/10 04:20 AM
Greg, John,

I am home now and I was going to send John an e-mail. However I see that John posted a link to that product and I will go there after I read the rest of my messages. smile
Posted By: leland Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/16/10 04:53 AM
Or.... Whats the problem with a brass coupling in the return line with a water main clamp? So long as it meets the sq in requirement.

Are all of our bond grids UL listed?
Does it need to be?
I've done and seen many bond grids not been UL.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/16/10 05:13 AM
I doubt a coupling would get you the sq/in but a short pipe nipple would.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/16/10 07:25 PM
Leland:
The UL label is required in most jurisdictions.

The pipe trick is accepted in some, as long as the clamp is listed/labeled and suitable for the application. An al clamp would not fly.

edit to embelish saome details.....

As there was no 'listed-approved UL' device available, the metalic pipe with a pipe clamp was acceptable. Now, that there is a listed/approved item, that is the method.

Posted By: harold endean Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/21/10 01:43 PM
John,

My old supply house just saw an ad for a "bonding" nipple for above ground pools. They said it was invented by an electrician, however I don't know if it is UL listed yet. It looks like what Greg is talking about. A short nipple with a bonding lug on it. I haven't seen one yet, but looking forward to seeing one.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/21/10 04:25 PM
I guess, if it's UL listed the choice then will be $$$$ for the ECs

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/22/10 12:11 AM
I don't see any need to make more of this requirement than the code already has. If the NEC doesn't specifically require something to be 'listed,' than it need not be listed, or even factory made.

Heck, someone could place a ground clamp on any old piece of rod or pipe, attach a length of #8, toss it in the leafcatcher and .. voila! .. the water is 'bonded.'

Just like, outside the pool, the 'equipotential grid' can be simple rebar, tied with ordinary tie wire.

What is critical is that these two be connected TO EACH OTHER. The whole purpose of the requirement is to ensure that there is no electrical potential between the pool water and the area just outside the shell. In the past this wasn't really a concern ... then we started making pools with either non-conductive or insulated shells.

Ironically, as the code wonks play lawyer, technology marches on. The typical 'pool' these days is very likely to be a vinyl sack with a 'rim' that floats, and a pump plugged into an extension cord from one of the general-use outdoor outlets. No filter, no grid, nothing ... heck, in the winter, they can set it up in their living room if they like. All you need is a garden hose.

Personally, I welcome ANY attempt to address possible concerns; the lack of a UL sticker isn't always a big deal.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Above Ground Pools - 06/22/10 02:36 AM
Reno the pool you describe is probably listed as a "storable" and most of 680 does not apply.
I would look at the label on the pump to start.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 07/06/10 09:24 PM
Another 'gizmo' for bonding the pool water appeared today....
Perma-Cast Model PB-2008 (Ironic # isn't it??)

UL Listed 40YZ

Sorry, but no link yet....Google??

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Above Ground Pools - 07/06/10 10:00 PM
Here you go
The installation instructions

http://www.permacastonline.com/pdfs/pbinstall.pdf

U/L listing

http://www.permacastonline.com/pdfs/pbtech.pdf

Picture of one

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

They want $22 for it at the place where I got this picture
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Above Ground Pools - 07/07/10 01:44 AM
Greg:
I thank you for the above. I got a 1 page flyer from an EC today, and didn't have time to do the research.

© ECN Electrical Forums