ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls Range cord vs circuit - 11/07/09 06:14 PM
I have an island(slab)with a range in it, I will need to pull thwn through my raceway to feed it, the manufactures specs say it has a maximum amperage of 27.6 amps and requires a 40 amp cord for connection. Can I feed a 40 amp plug with only 30 amps? Seems as an apprentice, my old company got gigged for this exact same thing. What say you?
Thanks,
H20
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Range cord vs circuit - 11/07/09 08:18 PM

(B) 30-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 30-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed lighting units with heavy-duty lampholders in other than a dwelling unit(s) or utilization equipment in any occupancy. A rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
Posted By: KJay Re: Range cord vs circuit - 11/07/09 09:56 PM
What I have noticed, over the last several years anyway, is how difficult it is sometimes to decipher range manufactures listed installation instructions and electrical requirements.
Often they list a minimum circuit ampacity as well as a minimum conductor size that doesn’t seem to correspond directly to the nameplate rating of the appliance.

I can remember a couple of years ago with one dual-fuel range, the installation instructions said to install a 30A 4-wire receptacle in the location specified on the template, but when I read the actual electrical requirements in the instructions, they stated to use a #8 minimum conductor size for the branch circuit.

Because of this, I always try and get copies of the manufactures installation instructions whenever I get the appliance schedule for a job.
© ECN Electrical Forums