ECN Forum
Posted By: dilydalyer mc cables - 09/09/09 03:02 AM
In the 2005 code book,could 330.30(d)(2) be interpeted to mean that no bat-wing is required from j-box to light,light to light etc. if the whip is 6' or shorter?I was thinking at least supported 12" from box,then I took the"for the purpose of this section,type mc cable fittings shall be permitted as a means of support" into consideration.Doing a job where they want buy alot of batwings.......
Posted By: renosteinke Re: mc cables - 09/09/09 04:11 AM
If you're worried about batwings, you need to re-examine your priorities.

If you're using the factory whips, you do NOT get to go from fixture to fixture; the wire isn't sized for that.

Otherwise, you read correctly, the 6ft whips need no support. Indeed, it might be hard to remove the tiles if the whips are secured.

What you attach the batwings to is another issue, as it appears that you can no longer use the wires that hold the ceiling up. Considering how 'busy' ceiling space has become, hanging more support wires is sure to be fun.
Posted By: leland Re: mc cables - 09/09/09 04:19 AM
'Tell you what', I agree. no bat wings needed.
no mention of distance from "junction boxes".

let'r' rip if shorter than 6'.

But now.... 2' tiles,2 in between each fixture,and the fixture plate in the middle of a 2' fixture.
So now do you have to use the 90 deg. connectors?
(side by side)
End to end-- 2'- 4'- 2'- Now you need support.

Sloppy assistant..you can easily be over 6'. Ahh But who will check?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: mc cables - 09/09/09 05:42 PM
I agree it is code compliant but, as a person who grew up with MC and FMC whips under computer room floors, I can say most of those connectors seem to be designed to hold armor that is secured close to the connector. After a little flexing, it is pretty easy to pull the cable loose, so be careful around those whips.
© ECN Electrical Forums