ECN Forum
Posted By: gscott 480V on push button controls. - 09/08/09 03:24 PM
Years ago I had to remove all 480V controls from out motor control centers and push button locations. The subject has come up again and I can't find anything that showes this being against code. I have not found anything NEC, NESC or OSHA. Can someone en lighten me on the subject.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/08/09 06:10 PM
I can't think of any reason why it would not be code conforming if they followed the rules. Bear in mind, this is the same voltage to ground as your 277 lighting and that is just a snap switch in a box.
Posted By: gscott Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/08/09 09:28 PM
For the most part these circuits are not fused, they come directly off the equipment fuse and can have fuses up to your larges horsepower. Ther has to be an arc flash issue.
I found this on www.msha.gov

30 CFR § 18.47
Voltage limitation.

(a) A tool or switch held in the operator's hand or supported against his body will not be approved with a nameplate rating exceeding 300 volts direct current or alternating current.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/08/09 09:59 PM
Is that 300v phase to phase or to ground?
480 wye is 277 to ground and I suspect that is where the 300v limit comes from.
I had the impression we were talking about panel mounted switches, not hand held. If this is a hand held dongle I can see your concern.
If people are not working on this equipment with the covers off, I don't think arc flash is that big an issue. I am assuming you are talking about the operator, not the maintenance staff.
The enclosure around equipment should contain the flash/fire. Isn't that part of the listing? The switch itself is not the motor starter is it? I do see that fusing the coil lead would be useful. If you don't you are bumping up against the fixture wire sizing rules.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/09/09 12:16 AM
If its a 480 volt 3 phase motor odds are theres no 277 volt to ground (to switch) & even if there was you can't switch the grounded conductor.
Part VI in 2005 is area that deals with this as far as what I've found.
Yoopersup
intersting question I always took it for granted that 480volt CAN NOT be field switched, if so then limit switchs , ect????
Posted By: gscott Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/09/09 02:02 PM
I was talking about push buttons, The operator is the one to protect. Limit switches and other devices I am not so concerned with. A 480v wye will be 277v to ground but a open delta will very and could be over 300 volts. sounds like it is ok to use 480v control on push buttons, but a control transformer to 120v just seams alot safer.

Gary
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/09/09 05:48 PM
If you are changing out the motor controller contactors, why not just go to a 24v system? 120v is only marginally safer than 277.
Posted By: electure Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/09/09 06:19 PM

The problem lies with the contact blocks behind the pushbuttons.
Most (not all mind you) are rated for 300 Volts.

It will probably pay to check
Posted By: Tesla Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/30/09 09:22 AM
208V / 480 V systems stink...

Too many problems with back-EMF in motor controls.

Give me 120V, 24V, 277V any day.

Back-EMF results in contactor chatter and other problems.

Ungrounded control circuits are a HEADACHE.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: 480V on push button controls. - 09/30/09 10:18 PM
I wouldn't personally use "Mains voltage" for a control circuit, although in some cases you don't really have a choice.

I prefer something like 24V, fed from the secondary side of a double-wound transformer, as long as there are fuses in both sides of the winding, I don't see an issue.
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/01/09 04:51 AM
As long as every part in the control ckt is rated for what ever voltage ( and current) that is present, its code. It makes no difference as to phase to phase or phase to ground, everything must be rated for the highest voltage found in the ckt. Over current protection must be in place where required. I agree with most that low voltage (24v or 120v) control is much preferred. Robert
Posted By: gpsparky Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/07/09 12:30 AM
The mine and mill that I work in were built in the early 1960's. All of the original controls are 480vac delta. Quite alot of them don't have and EGC either, mostly solid wire. Hard part is explaining how the voltage is present on hot and reutrn side of the cicuit with the switch open.

MSHA has it's own set of rules when it comes to electricty, otherwise how could you drag a 200 foot long cable behind a machine running on 480vac? And allow the operator to move it into and out of hangers when it's energized?
Posted By: gpsparky Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/07/09 12:31 AM
PS MSHA electrical is 30 CFR Part 57 Subpart K and 30 CR Part 18
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/07/09 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by gpsparky
Hard part is explaining how the voltage is present on hot and reutrn side of the cicuit with the switch open.

You are measuring the line voltage between two legs minus the voltage drop from the load that the push button controls, likly a coil.

Look at it as a series circuit. The open contact and presume (never assume) for this dissussion is a very resistive load. It will be in series with the coil. Although the coil resistance is high, it will be much lower then the open contact. In a series circuit, the voltage of the circuit will be the sum of voltage of each load within the circuit. In addition the voltage at each load will be inversly propotional to the resistance of each load. The higher the resistance is of a load, the lower the voltage for the load will be.

If we assign a resistance value to each load, R1 being 10 Gig-ohms (open contact) and R2 was 50,000 ohms (coil), the resistance of R2 makes up only .0000005% of the total resistance of the circuit so the voltage will be 99.9999995% of the total voltage. Being that the line voltage is so high the voltage drop is less across R2. Although it appears that the voltage is the same, when the contact is open, you are actually measuring is the line voltage minus the voltage drop.

A digital voltmeter will likely pick up the voltage but not a analog meter due to its high resistance.
Posted By: gpsparky Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/07/09 05:34 AM
No, actually its because L1 is phase one of the delta and L2 is phase two of the gelta and either one to ground will give you voltage less than 480 if the switch is open
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/07/09 08:12 AM
How is this delta grounded. That will be the deciding factor.

Posted By: gpsparky Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/08/09 12:38 AM
Delta ground is derived from the primary side of the xfmr at each substation in the plant. I know how it works and my boss found out the hard way when he got zapped by the L2 on a control circuit.

Actually a funny story, him and two other guys were troubleshooting a starter, one had a the L2 in his hand (?), leaned on another guy and then he leaned on the foreman who was in contact with the side of the box. Don't know how they did it, but needless to say they all got a buzz.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/08/09 02:57 AM
The secondary usually has to be grounded somewhere too, with a few limited exceptions. Where you ground this can make a lot of difference what the phase to ground will be.
I think this is why they use 3p wye a lot on 480. It keeps your L/G down to 277.
If you corner ground a delta you get 480-480-0 but if you centertapped it you get 240-240 and a 415v "wild leg".
Posted By: JBD Re: 480V on push button controls. - 10/23/09 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by gscott
Years ago I had to remove all 480V controls from out motor control centers and push button locations. The subject has come up again and I can't find anything that showes this being against code. I have not found anything NEC, NESC or OSHA. Can someone en lighten me on the subject.

You need to look in NFPA79 the standard for industrial machines and in IEEE/ANSI C47xxx the standard for switchgear.
These codes all but prevent any voltage to the door >240V.
Posted By: JValdes Re: 480V on push button controls. - 12/23/09 08:03 PM
When you buy a 480 volt combination starter it comes standard with 480 for the stop/start buttons. They use the supply voltage for local control. You have to order and pay extra for a 24 or 120 volt coil and subsequent wiring change on the starter. 480 on PB's are as common as butter on bread.
© ECN Electrical Forums