ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Sign Disconnect - 08/07/09 11:58 PM
Article 600.6 ask for a disconnect for a sign. If a sign builder installs a switch as an integral part of the sigh does this satisfy the requirement? One must realize that the UL standard does not require a disconnect as part of the requirements for sign construction.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sign Disconnect - 08/08/09 01:25 AM
If it was at the circuit entry into the sign, disconnected all ungrounded conductors and was marked as the disconnect with an "off" position I would allow it.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Sign Disconnect - 08/09/09 11:29 PM
yes a factory installed disconnecting switch that disconnects all ungrounded conductors is allowed
Posted By: George Little Re: Sign Disconnect - 08/11/09 08:57 PM
I guess I left out a very key point. The branch circuit enters the back of the sign enclosure, travels through the sign and then exits the sign to terminate on the line side of a WP switch mounted on the sign. The load side of the switch has conductors that re-enter the sign enclosure and connect up to the Xformer of the sign. I feel that this a violation of 600.6 since the switch does not disconnect all un-grounded conductors in the sign. What do you think?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sign Disconnect - 08/11/09 11:36 PM
Note I said "at the circuit entry into the sign". I agree with you, either move the disconnect to the conduit entry point or change where the conduit enters to make it next to the switch, preferably in a separate enclosure within the sign.
This could be as simple as a 4x4 deep ring that covered the switch terminals and conduit entry with a blank cover on the other side.
I believe the purpose of the disconnect is to make the interior of the equipment safe. I am not making a proposal but I do think a label over the disconnect enclosure saying something like "line voltage present with disconnect off" is a good idea.
© ECN Electrical Forums