ECN Forum
I would like to read about your past practices and experiences with inspectors as regards to bonding of isolated and exposed steel I beams in otherwise wood frame construction. There is no way this steel may become energized, as no electrical item is mounted on it, nor is any wiring method attached to or even resting on it. Is it required to be bonded or not?
Can you give an Example say height , Location , ect.
Earl:
Perhaps the steel is mechanically connected to the earth??

In that case....yes...bond
That is what I usually associate with the beam that goes across the basement. Typically it is an 8x17# on lally columns and caught at each end in a masonry pocket. (up there in the frozen north)
No. I have never seen any serious attempt to bond it.
Posted By: JBD Re: 250.104(C) Bonding of isolated steel I-beam - 03/27/09 04:32 PM
The NEC says if it is 'likely' to become energized, not if it is just 'possible'.

Should houses along the Gulf coast be built with roofs capable of handling 12" snow loads? Should houses in the far northern Midwest be built to survive hurricanes? Both conditions are possible, however neither is likely. Should nails used to hang pictures be grounded? Aren't they likely to become energized? If they weren't, why the restrictions an how close NM cable can be run near the front of a wall cavity?

© ECN Electrical Forums