ECN Forum
Posted By: luckyshadow Switchgear / GFP test - 01/10/09 04:42 PM
I'm curious of those that install gear that requires Ground Fault Protection by the NEC - How many of you have the GFP tested after installation? Required by 230.95 C ( 2005 nec)
Posted By: George Little Re: Switchgear / GFP test - 01/11/09 05:33 AM
Absolutely - It's required by the NEC and the manufacturer. I always ask for the engineers spec on where he wants the trip point, I witness the performance test as administered by the company performing the test and then sign the document that goes on record as compliance with 230.95(C).

For the record, pushing the Test button on the equipment is not acceptable as the "Performance Test"

In my career as an inspector (25 years) I have had 2 systems that did not past the first time.
Posted By: Brian_John Re: Switchgear / GFP test - 01/19/09 10:01 PM
We perform secondary injection testing of GFP systems for ECs and over the years (25-28) I have had countless GFP systems fail the initial test.

We test the GFP relay at all factor presets for current pickup and at a timed operation at the settings recommended in the coordination study (if supplied). We also test (megger) the neutral for any grounds downstream of the main service, megger the bus line and load and ductor/micro-ohm the power contacts. Lastly we recommended leaving the main line switch closed (as do manufactures) during construction till power is to be connected and recommended leaving the GFP relay set at minimum current and time delay for minimizing possible damage to equipment during construction.
© ECN Electrical Forums