ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke 2008 Stink? Change it! - 09/01/08 04:14 PM
Just a reminder ... closing date for proposals to change the NEC in the next edition (2011) is November 7th.

Anyone may make a proposal. You can even do it on line - visit NFPA.org.

Every proposal gets considered.

In the last code cycle, I made -maybe- 7 proposals. Three were reflected in changes made. One was rejected - then turned up in the new code anyway.

Proposals need not be 'earth shaking' changes. They may address little things. They may simply correct bad grammar, clear up confusion caused by omissions, address new issues ... or ask to remove things you disagree with.

Gentlemen ... start your typewriters!
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 09/04/08 10:58 AM
Oh boy, they're gonna get a pile from me regarding Article 708!

Also, isn't it about time we change this from the "2008 NEC Forum" to the "2011 NEC Forum"? After all, we already have an NEC forum smile
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 09/19/08 12:30 PM
I think that NJ is just getting around to adopting the 2008 NEC. We can go to the DCA website and make our feelings known about the new code and if enough contractors make a big stink, the state may change the NEC.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 09/23/08 09:59 PM
Harold:
Last I heard, no '08 adoption this year! Not 'official' but verbal comment.
Posted By: harold endean Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 10/05/08 12:20 PM
John,

I posted a message here but the PC locked up and it didn't go through. I posted here that the DCA is now getting ready to adopted the 2008 NEC. It is on their website. I posted all of the info under a new topic for NJ contractors.
Posted By: sparky Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 11/16/08 02:56 PM
Proposals need not be 'earth shaking' changes. They may address little things. They may simply correct bad grammar, clear up confusion caused by omissions, address new issues ... or ask to remove things you disagree with.

isn't this just the illusion of choice?

~S~
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 11/16/08 08:47 PM
Sparky, alas, at this point you have no choice. The period to submit proposals will close, and we need to wait until Summer to comment on proposals already made.

Illusion of choice? When voting for a politician, I don't demand that my guy win ... but I do insist that I have my vote. In a like manner, I see little point in being critical of the code, while not at least making your opinion known in the circles where it can have some effect.

You have at least two basic places where your opinion matters. One is by making a proposal. The other is at the local level, where you can affect the adoption and enforcement of codes.

I'll give one example, from the last cycle, to illustrate that the NEC is not always a 'done deal:'
A proposal was made for the NEC to allow illuminated closet rods. The committee said "no." Comments were made ... the committee reversed itself ... and the 2008 now recognises the use of this new product.
Posted By: Admin Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 11/16/08 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
..the NEC is not always a 'done deal:'

I'll second that, I believe my input helped change an aspect of the style the code is written in regarding exceptions and what they refer to.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: 2008 Stink? Change it! - 11/16/08 11:18 PM
well fella's, while i'll give those of you who do participate due respect for cleaning up the clerical mistakes or opining as to the ground going up or down it's rather apparent where the nec buck stops

~S~
© ECN Electrical Forums