ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/07/08 06:12 PM
I wonder why they thought "PVC" wasn't sufficient and had to spell it out "rigid polyvinyl conduit"??? Seems to keep getting more complicated to me instead of simpler:( Plus they're using more ink:) Steve...
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/07/08 10:09 PM
?
Posted By: Rewired Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/07/08 11:08 PM
Steve: Are you referring to whats printed on the side of a stick of conduit? The only reason I could see them printing out " Rigid Polyvinyl-Chloride" is so there is no ifs and or butts about what it is.. Ya never know someone may try to sub "CPVC" for "PVC"..

A.D
Posted By: twh Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/08/08 12:40 AM
http://www.acronymfinder.com/PVC.html
Posted By: drum Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/08/08 02:31 AM
Schedule 40 Rigid PVC I notice says for underground and above ground use. Are they still making Schedule 80? I cant seem to find schedule 80 PVC around here.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/08/08 05:51 AM
They should have Sch 80 at the supply house but it isn't going to be at Home Depot
Posted By: Chris Simms Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/08/08 09:40 AM
It is aval at my homedepot but not at 1 30 miles away because the ahj don't require it.
Posted By: drum Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/10/08 09:18 PM
Thanks. The one supply house did not have it either around here. Will check another.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/10/08 11:58 PM
"SCH 80" is another one of those "I can't describe subject to physical damage but I know it when I see it" things. If the AHJ thinks things are subject to damage, suppliers will stock Sch 80.
It usually gets used for a PVC riser coming out of the dirt here. Commercial and certainly any service conductor raceway. Not so much for a 1&2 family outlet out in the garden.
Posted By: drum Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/15/08 02:18 AM
Thanks Greg
Posted By: Zapped Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/26/08 01:54 PM
The poco will specify sch. 80 out here for any of their risers, especially when extending up a pole. It's also the only thing I'll use under a roadway, as rigid metalic tends to desintigrate in corrsive soils out here.

If you don't have a supplier for shc. 80, you should probably try to find one.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/28/08 09:38 PM
Greg,

I just red flagged someone today because he had sch 40 running up the pole instead of sch 80. Beside that they back filled the trench where the service pipe ran. they just left the end open for me. Wasn't that nice of them! LOL Oh yeah, the house was closed up and I heard dogs barking in there and 2 great big notes on the job site pleading with me to do a service inspection. Maybe next time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/29/08 12:56 AM
Harold:
Nice to see you back here! OK, did you leave a "open the trench" note? And a 'no entry'?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride conduit - 08/29/08 03:06 AM
Welcome back Caper!

Sch80 is required for just about any exposed service conductor (RNC) raceway I can think of here.
Usually we can get away with backfilling the trench if you stick several stubs of conduit down to the pipe along the way that the inspector can measure. In this sand, the trench will backfill itself if it rains and it pretty much rains every afternoon in the summer
© ECN Electrical Forums