ECN Forum
Hi guy's-I need to install a 120v. outlet in a well house that will serve to power up a electric fence controller. I know due to its location it should be GFCI protected but was wondering due to the nature of electric fences if I will get alot of nuiscance tripping. I would hate to have the GFCI trip and have the cows jump the fence,they have done it once already. Do you guy's have any experience with a situation like this?
GFCI protection isn't required per your situation
Sparky- I would agree with your comment that GFCI protection is not required for Brandon's installation. The code reference would be 210.8(A)(2) Exception 2 to (2) 2005 NEC. I would also add that the electric fence should not trip the GFCI no more than a bug zapper would. If it trips the GFCI there is something wrong with the electric fence equipment.
yes and no. GFCI's have a tendnecy for "neuscience tripping" in a damp enviornment and giving the importance not losing the heard and it is not required per NEC or other applicable code, I personally would not use a GFCI.
Posted By: Tom Re: GFCI protecting outlet for a electric fence. - 05/31/08 11:13 AM
I've been running an electric fence from a GFI outlet for about 10 years with no problems, but I use my fence to keep critters out, not valuable livestock in. I'd go with a regular receptacle for your situation.
I use a solar powered electric fence smile No NEC needed
It does seem like a bit of a contradiction ... shock protection for an appliance that's SUPPOSED to shock you!

In another thread, I question the value of "listing" some products. This is one category where I want a third party, with follow-up inspections, to make absolutely certain that the product works safely.
Originally Posted by walrus
Let me guess, the cattle was only allowed out during the day light?
I was thinking 210.8 A 2 may apply because it is not like it is appliance that would be difficult to unplug and the use the receptacle to run a power tool for maintenence on the building and other things. My gut tells me to install a single receptacle for the fence and give them a GFCI next to it for any possible power needs that should arise in the out building (well pump service calls etc ).
Thanks for the imput !
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Originally Posted by walrus
Let me guess, the cattle was only allowed out during the day light?

Either that or a battery. Most new solar chargers will go weeks without sunlight and still deliver quite a wallop.
Oh, you were serious about using solar. If the device gets structually attached or anchored, then it falls under the NEC.

Walus, I understand you concern of safety. What I am saying is you have a choice of GFCI protection or not. If you are really concern, you can put a lockable cover like a weatherproof while in use cover and put a paddle lock on it if you do not want to use a GFCI device and prevent others to use it. If you are installing for some one else. Tell them the pros and cons and let them decide.
Huh? There is a whole section on photovoltaic in the NEC.
© ECN Electrical Forums