ECN Forum
Posted By: Reel-Break And yet another Sub question - 04/28/08 01:40 PM
I`m working with a new contractor whom insist I put a main in the house. I have a 200a meter main out side and have installed a 100 main lug inside with the 100 ocp out in the metermain.Guess I`m not going to find in exact words this is legal I showed him I had ocp for the panel to protect everything has someone got some Code references I can shoot at him.
Wouldn`t 408.36 cover it?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: And yet another Sub question - 04/28/08 02:11 PM
I am not sure what you are shooting at with 408.36. The main is the panel is not required per NEC. I doubt that it is a local ordinance since you are saying it is not required. If the contractor or the customer is going to pay for it, give them what they want. It may just give them a piece of mind. If you have already ordered parts, tell them how much it is going to cost for the change. Check you project specs. if the project came with them.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: And yet another Sub question - 04/28/08 04:05 PM
Yes, 408.36 is the correct section to cite in regard to NOT requiring a "main" breaker inside a panelboard supplied by a feeder with proper overcurrent protection.
Posted By: JValdes Re: And yet another Sub question - 04/29/08 03:48 PM
Glad I looked at this thread. I have always understood that a sub panel in an unattached structure requires a main breaker and one or more electrodes, in addition to the main breaker for the feeders.
Is this thread concerning a main service and that is why I do not understand using a lug panel is a violation?
Thanks....john
Posted By: gfretwell Re: And yet another Sub question - 04/29/08 03:58 PM
If you go to a second building you need another disconnect but I understand this as all being in or on the same building. This is not that unusual on a piling house where they have a service disconnect at ground level and a lighting and appliance board up in the dwelling.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: And yet another Sub question - 04/29/08 04:26 PM
In this case, he's got the OCP/service disconnect as a separate breaker, and so does not need a main breaker on his panel.
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: And yet another Sub question - 05/02/08 07:31 PM
Yes this is correct. Small cracker box house just set metermain outside to catch the heat and hvac 100 amp sub 20 space in the house. But the main reason for the metermain is the fact of where the panel was located and poco entrance.I coundn`t go back to back.
© ECN Electrical Forums