ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Adopting the 08 - 04/13/08 11:28 PM
Ohio seems to have lit up the internet by declining - or at least deferring - adoption of the 2008 NEC.

Minnesota moved to adopt it without comment ... but was deluged with the required petitions to have an open commentary period.

For this thread, I'd like to know:

- Has the 2008 been adopted in your jurisdiction?

- Is the 2008 being opposed in your area?

- Has the 2008 been subject to an extraordinary amount of amending ?

- What seem to be the issues that inspire the objections?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 01:22 AM
John.,,

Right now the State of Wisconsin still on 05 code cycle but we are in progress getting the 08 code cycle going but the last time what I heard that they may delete the AFCI again but that is up in the air for now and i heard some rumors but i can't confirmed but it should be in the new state code book but somehow it got delayed with three items

AFCI
TP
WR
i think few more but i really can't comment all because i did not get chance to read all the details from my state office about this on going change.

However what i heard some GC did raise the voice about the cost related to the AFCI.

as i am typing now the news been spread fast with the state of Ohio did and i am not too surprised if other states will join the act with it.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: harold endean Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 12:11 PM
John,

As of right now NJ still follows the '05 NEC and the '08 is up for adoption. The state will post the new code on it's website and I believe we would have a chance to voice our opinion as to what we like or do not like about the new code. I myself do not think that the Tamper proof receptacles are needed and I am not sure about the Arc Fault. In NJ we have a lot of old homes that have multiple branch wiring to them. I don't know how that will affect the AFCI breakers.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 03:44 PM
- Has the 2008 been adopted in your jurisdiction?

NO

- Is the 2008 being opposed in your area?

YES

- Has the 2008 been subject to an extraordinary amount of amending ?

NOT YET

- What seem to be the issues that inspire the objections?

COST OF IMPLEMENTING THE AFCI EXPANSION AND TAMPER-RESISTANT RECEPTACLES

This refers to the state of Florida.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 05:27 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again here. It is about time we said "no mas".
They should put a moratorium on all code changes for 10 years and let the dust settle a bit. The only changes during this period should be in fixing inconsistencies and poor language. No new rules should be made.
Then we would have 10 years to come up with a reasonable set of new changes that are well thought out and actually test technologies before they put them in the code.
There is nothing preventing people from using any listed device like an AFCI or TP receptacle. Let the manufacturers sell them to the public, not just be able to force them on the public by quasi governmental fiat.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 06:05 PM
It looks like we are getting real close to that idea Greg.

I believe there will be NO amendments or code changes for 3 years when the 2007 FBC is adopted in October. There will only be a glitch code cycle to correct conflicts, mistakes, ect.

When the Florida Building Commission begins work on the 2010 FBC, all proposals to amend the code, including the updating of standard editions will be accepted then and only then.

It may be possible at that time the 2008 will be adopted or possibly we will skip to the 2011, or posibly stay with the 2005 again...

Who Knows?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 10:27 PM
Reno:
Input from the first '08 NEC Changes CEU course I was involved in:
Tamperproof & WR where very controversial.
Panel ID raised a lot of feathers.
Quite a few 'horray's' for 680.26 change

Hopefully, as harold said..a chance for interested parties to voice opinions before DCA makes the adoption. AFCI has not made it yet here, although the big box stores have them on the shelves. My gut says 'maybe by Sept'

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/14/08 11:11 PM
It appears that Minnesota's attempt to 'automatically' adopt the 2008 NEC is being challenged. This means there will be hearings, etc. .... so all bets are off there. as well as in Ohio.
Posted By: kohli Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/15/08 12:56 AM
ohio has put a hold on the part of 08 nec that has to do with tamper proof rec.& afci if you pulled a permit from 3-30-08 to 7-1-08 earlyer permits you must follow 08 nec & all other parts of 08 nec is adoped when this was discosed at NW DIV OHIO CHAPTER I A E I meeting last week just outside of toledo ohio
Posted By: kohli Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/15/08 01:09 AM
Also i have played with older A F C I at I A E I meetings & at ohio chapter meeting I talked with SD D senior PE . We Talked to greae amownt about GFCI & how they did there home work befor leting out the new A.F.C.I. I think they are worth the time & money . I am puting 7 or more in my home at present R Kohli Ohio licance 14491 Coloradio Master 740
Posted By: schenimann Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/15/08 02:03 AM
In North Carolina, only a few small ammendments. Other than that we are all in.
NC Electrical Code 2008
"These Administrative Regulations along with the requirements included in the 2008 Edition of the National Electrical Code as approved by the North Carolina Building Code Council on March 11, 2008, to be effective June 1, 2008, with the following amendments:
(1) 100
(2) 210.8(a)(3) (Exception No. 2)
(3) 250.50
shall be known as the North Carolina Electrical Code."
Posted By: BackInTheHabit Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/15/08 04:11 AM
KY is currently under the 2005 NEC. Adoption of the 2008 NEC expected in July/August with no amendments.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/15/08 10:33 AM
I'm in VA. We haven't even adopted 2005 yet, we're still 2002.
Posted By: leland Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/16/08 12:51 AM
Massachusetts: 2008 as of 12:00 AM January 1st,2008.
With amendments. Most logical and some in opposition to the NEC.
AFCI, TR,WP As written in the NEC. for the most part.

10 pages amendments: Art:90,100,110,200,210,220,225,230,250,300,310,320,334,338,342,344,352,355,358,368,372,374,390,400,410,511,517,550,680,682,695,700,701 and 708.

Other than that... NEC is unchanged. Some minor some...:)
Posted By: harold endean Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/16/08 12:27 PM
John,

If you check under the DCA website under codes and standards there is a section about updating of codes and I found the section where we can voice our opinion. The 2008 NEC isn't up there yet, but when it is, I will tell all the EC's here in my area and my supply house to go to the site and voice their opinion. I believe with all of these changes, a simple service change will cost a lot more and a lot of contractors will not even get permits.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/16/08 09:58 PM
Harold:
I saw the site you mentioned, and also found the UCC on-line, along with a LOT of other items, but nothing on the '08 yet.

As to pricing issues, and not getting permits, that's another issue. The risks (financial and legal) outweigh any gains that a 'real' EC could make. Last one I wrote was $500 by the time it was settled; started at $250.
As to pricing...not my business as AHJ, but I see some really steep costs on the tech cards. A few EC's are upselling service changes by including surge supressors and some type of power factor correction device.

I'll keep an eye on DCA site & let you know if and when I see anything on '08

Take care & stay safe
Posted By: leland Re: Adopting the 08 - 04/17/08 01:00 AM
I don't think in the long run things will change.
Ufortunately, there will be the initial "sticker shock".
Just like the new Electronics, once these items hit the market, down they go.

AFCI for example, now there all around $30+- (still substantial over the acustomed $7.).But only 3 months ago the combos were like $50-- The TRs' have come down rapidly aswell. When you see a place like the "big box stores" carrying them, you know there accepted.

I have an issue with the "BBS" In these border towns in MA. Most want Photo smokes, NO IONS. But 3 miles over the border (no sales tax) next to imposible to find them..Same with the 08' regs.
Conspiracy to get me to pay more tax.

Yes, My opinion has changed. But I'm not running for a political office either. So i assume thats ok.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Adopting the 08 - 05/04/08 04:49 PM
In Nebraska the state leglasture did not act to adopt the 2008 code this year. The state electrical board says maybe next year.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Adopting the 08 - 05/12/08 12:47 AM
John,

I keep checking the DCA website myself to see when they will try to adopt the 2008 NEC. I think, once it is posted, anybody can write to the DCA and tell them thier feelings on the new code. If so, I will be sending down my thoughts on this code. Plus I will try and get all my friends at the supply house to do the same.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Adopting the 08 - 05/12/08 02:25 AM
Why wait for it to be too late? Why not now?
Posted By: sparkync Re: Adopting the 08 - 05/16/08 03:06 PM
In my area of North Carolina, the 2008 code does not take affect until July 2008, if even at that date, according to my electrical inspection dept. They told me they are to have a council meeting, and if there is enough complaints about the AFCI's and tamper proof recpts., it may be longer
before it goes into affect. Steve...
© ECN Electrical Forums