ECN Forum
I am trying to find whether or not in the code if I can tap off a 30amp 240v receptacle for a portable space heater in a commercial space onto an existing 60 amp circuit. This is in a large pottery studio, and this is for seasonal heating in berkeley california, and it would not be used at the same time as the kiln that the circuit supplies....but I could not find any ref. about multi outlet appl. circuits and ocp in 2005 nec? Chris
Table 210.21(B)(3)
I am trying to find whether or not in the code if I can tap off a 30amp 240v receptacle for a portable space heater in a commercial space onto an existing 60 amp circuit.

If you change the breaker to a 30A wink

crs you ever get anyone to wire your Mom's house?
Also, don’t forget that since this is a branch circuit and not a feeder, the length of the #10 tap conductors would be limited to 18-inches by 210.19[A][4][c]. smile
I should clarify that that the #10 taps will only work if you hardwire the heater. tired
Since you want add an additional receptacle, it must be the same rating as the branch circuit.
The closets thing you can do and meet code is install a small subpanel then install 30 and 60 amp breaker. The hassel may not be worth it because of the clearence requirements for the panel.
You could also "tap" over to a water heater/HVAC type disconnect with a 30a OC device.
© ECN Electrical Forums