ECN Forum
Posted By: Zog NC code - 12/19/07 02:48 PM
I am building (I am the buyer, not the builder) a house in NC and was told that NC code requires the dishwasher to be on a circuit that can be turned off with one of the lightswitches in the kitchen, whats the basis for this?

I was happy to see AFCI's for all of the bedrooms.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: NC code - 12/19/07 03:56 PM
Probably as desire to have a means of disconnection for servicing. That's why I like cords & plugs.
Posted By: leland Re: NC code - 12/23/07 01:28 PM
422.31 (B), requires it over 300VA or 1/8 HP.

Switch, cord& plug or breaker (if within sight)

EDIT: NEC- 2005
Posted By: ausador Re: NC code - 12/26/07 09:18 PM
In Alaska where I just left all "fixed" appliances are now required to have a means of disconnect as per 422.31(b).

This means that dishwashers, garbage disposals, waterheaters, range tops, wine coolers, built-in fridges, wall ovens, and any other fixed in place appliance that you can think of has to have a disconnect within sight. This can be a disconnect, a switch, or a cord and plug.

While I am not famliar with the local N.C. code this would seem to be an attempt to comply with the above referenced code article. You should consult your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction...your city, county, or state inspectors that have authority there and see if another means of disconnect is adequate. In order to comply with this most dishwashers nowadays are "plugged-in".

I think perhaps what the installers/electricians/whomever it is doing the install were trying to tell you is not that you would have a wall mounted switch that shuts off the dishwasher alongside the light and disposal switch. But rather that they needed to install a switch inside the cabinet where the dishwashers feed originates from. An alternative is for them to install a receptacle at the outlet and a cord on the dishwasher. As long as the cord length/wiresize is kept within the code limits.

Whoever qouted this code rule is correct but don't forget that there are several ways of complying with it. Since this is new construction you must comply with the "new" code as upheld in your area.

Posted By: KJay Re: NC code - 12/26/07 10:43 PM
If that’s true I would say that the NC inspection authority must be way behind the times and incapable of reading and applying the current NEC.
422.31 is completely overwritten by 422.33 if you use the cord and plug connection allowed in 422.16 in compliance with, 400.5, 400.7, 400.8 and 210.21[B][2].
Most appliance manufactures recommend this type of connection. It is easily done and generally considered as a much safer and more professional installation. Once the cord is removed, the appliance is completely disconnected from the power source and there is no unsupported cable of unknown length flapping around below the appliance.
Someone should also explain to them that running a cord though an adjoining cabinet is not restricted by 400.8 because they are not considered walls of the structure.
Some interpret 422.16 to say that you can install the receptacle in the same space occupied by the appliance and not even be able to get at it once the dishwasher is installed and still comply with the definition of accessible in Article 110. laugh

Posted By: Roger Re: NC code - 12/26/07 10:55 PM
Guys, whoever told Zog this was an NC requirement is either misinformed or simply lying, it is not true.

A dishwasher can be cord and plug connected in NC all day long any day of the year.

Roger
Posted By: wewire2 Re: NC code - 12/29/07 06:28 PM
WOW!

This thread went from Zog stating that he was told by some
undisclosed person that a switch was required for his dishwasher to:

It was the installer, electrician or whomever was trying to do the install.

Then, for some reason the NC inspection authority must be way behind the times and incapable of reading and applying the current NEC.

And now.... This undisclosed person is either misinformed or a liar?

I'd be willing to bet he was misinformed. What would he have to gain by lying? Unless maybe he works for the Leviton light switch division.

Sorry Zog.

Posted By: Roger Re: NC code - 12/29/07 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by wewire2
What would he have to gain by lying? Unless maybe he works for the Leviton light switch division.

Sorry Zog.

Who knows what he might have to gain but, the bigger question is, why couldn't this person work for P&S, Cooper,(Eagle) Hubbell/Bryant, etc...? grin

Roger
Posted By: wewire2 Re: NC code - 12/29/07 08:52 PM
Because he would have to leviton in order for the dishwasher to work.
Posted By: Roger Re: NC code - 12/29/07 09:30 PM

Well, in the words of Karl Childers, "ok then"

Roger
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: NC code - 12/29/07 09:45 PM

Is 'to leviton' now a verb? I picture the AHJ saying, "I'm sorry, son, but you coopered. If you had levitoned, I would be able to pass this."
Posted By: wewire2 Re: NC code - 12/29/07 11:14 PM
Yeah and I bet Zog would have been P&S...d
Posted By: n1ist Re: NC code - 12/30/07 01:15 AM
Of course you need to Leviton; how would it work without power?
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: NC code - 12/30/07 02:59 AM
Yeah and I bet Zog would have been P&S...d

You win. grin I wish I'd thought of P&S'd!
Posted By: wewire2 Re: NC code - 12/30/07 03:22 AM
That was mighty Hubbell of you to concede victory.
Thanks!
Posted By: Roger Re: NC code - 12/30/07 01:34 PM
So you agree this person was lying.

Roger
Posted By: wewire2 Re: NC code - 12/30/07 06:18 PM
Ha, nice try Rog.I didn't go to school just to eat my lunch.(I'd put one of them smiley faces here if I knew how)

Yes I agree he was probabably lying down snoozing when he should have been studying the code section regarding cord cord connected appliances and variations thereof adopted by the local code enforcement officials.
Posted By: Roger Re: NC code - 12/30/07 08:27 PM

Yes I agree he was probabably lying down snoozing when he should have been studying the code section regarding cord cord connected appliances and variations thereof adopted by the local code enforcement officials.

Very good. grin

Actualy NC is under the 05 NEC with three amendments, see pages 3,4,& 5 of this document

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums