ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls fasco contactors - 10/30/07 03:29 AM
I installed three contactors for a fire surpression system, two of the three coils controlled by a switch which is fed from micro switch(normally closed) inside system. These two coils energized close contactor normally open and feed an air handler, and the second a hood which both must run simultaneously under normal conditions. The third contactor coil is controlled from the normally open of the micro switch in the system which is now in "EMERGENCY" mode and has de-energized the the air handler and is now energizing only the hood per fire marshall.

The problem is these fasco contactors keep vibrating and make alot of noise, the parts house guy told me to hit the contactor to get the armature back in line again (after replacing the two which run simultaneously) and quiet them down.....but just am not in mind set that a "hammer" is the answer.

Has anyone else had trouble with fasco? Think I am gonna go to grainger (instead of ma and pa's parts) and get different brand like alan bradley or square d. Cause I cant keep going every week to replace fasco.

Thanks,
H20
Posted By: wire_twister Re: fasco contactors - 10/30/07 11:21 AM
I installed a Fasco on some outdoor Metal Halide lights, coil is controlled by a tork photocell, been installed for 3 years with no trouble. Mine is only energized after dark a far cry from being on 24/7. I did install a Square D contactor as a dead man switch on an electric stove for a fire supression system. This contactor has been pulled in 24/7 for about 4 years with no problem.
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: fasco contactors - 10/30/07 01:26 PM
I had a bunch of 200A Fascos installed feeding panels and they were noisy. Mostly a loud BAM when they switched, but they did make more buzzing than others I have dealt with. Personally I prefer Allen Bradley 100-C or 100-D for bigger loads. The seem to be quiet, small, modular, and I haven't had a bad one yet.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: fasco contactors - 10/30/07 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by watersparkfalls

The problem is these fasco contactors keep vibrating and make alot of noise, the parts house guy told me to hit the contactor to get the armature back in line again (after replacing the two which run simultaneously) and quiet them down.....but just am not in mind set that a "BFH" is the answer.

I think what might have happened here is that there may be some dirt or grit stuck between the pole pieces of the armature in the contactor.
If the two parts of the armature don't fit together squarely, there will be vibration as the side with the gap in it tries to pull the armature closer.
My advice would be to dismantle the contactor and check it, and if necessary give the pole faces abit of a rub with some fine abrasive paper, not too much though, the pole faces need to be clean and smooth.
Hope this helps.

Edit: I would get any advice like that given by the supply store guy in writing before actually taking to a contactor like that, thier returns policy may be a tad different with a broken contactor.
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: fasco contactors - 11/04/07 09:07 PM
well I changed contactors to square d and haven't had any trouble. when you energize the coil you can really tell the difference in quality square d thunks quick and holds contacts tight....not a peep, buzz or hum to be heard.
i will never use fasco again,

thanks for the input.

H20
© ECN Electrical Forums