ECN Forum
Posted By: Yoopersup 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 08/17/07 12:10 PM
Where and Whens the soonest I can get my hands on a 2008 Code book or Handbook ??? Most flyers I;ve gotten say late Oct. some time at the earliest??
Thanks
Posted By: earlydean Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 08/17/07 12:45 PM
Go to your IAEI section meeting at the end of September. The NFPA vendor will be happy to sell you a copy of the 2008 NEC:

http://www.iaei.org/membership/datesahead.htm

They will also give you a seminar on the 2008 changes.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 08/17/07 01:52 PM
If it's anything like the last time ..... you'll be the LAST person in town to get it, of you order it from the NFPA.

The first copies are likely to show up at your supply house- and those are the paperback copies.

If you want the NEC in some other form, plan on a Christmas delivery.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 08/18/07 01:33 AM
I am not sure what is going to happen in Florida. I understand we are skipping the 2008 and just cherry picking a few things to add to the FBC.
I am not going to be in a hurry to buy the book.
Posted By: markp Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 09/09/07 11:06 PM
The online version is out now on the NFPA website. Its a crappy interface, but the code is there.
Posted By: Zapped Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 09/23/07 02:49 PM
Amazon just sent me a pre-order notice, stating that they will have it available on October 1st. 10% off for pre-order.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 09/24/07 12:37 AM
I am guessing IAEI will give anyone who is up on their dues a free one again.
Posted By: sabrown Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 10/02/07 02:31 PM
Does anyone know if the CD's are actually CD's this time?

For NEC 2002 I got a CD using folio and I still use it for the quality of the product. For NEC 2005 I had to download a encrypted PDF, what a pain. The interface is poor to extreemely poor versus what was had with folio, and now I can not access it on either my laptop or my desktop and microslop got rid of my .NET account because I am not on hotmail. The electronic NEC 2005 as packaged by NFPA and received by me is a poor excuse for what is now a worthless product.

I would like to know if anyones experience with the electronic version of NEC 2008 shows that they might have a working product again?

...sigh, I sent an email yesterday to NFPA stating my problems. I should have done this a 1.5 years ago when I lost final access but project work has been to demanding until now to even try to access it.

Shane
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 10/02/07 03:54 PM
I didn't buy the CD version of the 2005 because of that funky interface. I agree the Folio version of 2002 is a superior product.
Posted By: sabrown Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 10/18/07 01:58 PM
I just reactivated my NEC 2005 with a far better experience. NFPA got rid of the .NET garbage, went to a simple security plugin, and just have on each page copyright info and your name. The file is now easily legally portable during upgrades, reimages, and between your desktop and laptop.

Now if only they had ttaken the time to give it the Folio versions full bookmark index.

I am smiling again at least.

Shane
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 12/05/07 05:27 PM
Encrypted pdf? IBC 2006 on CD is pretty nice. Single pdf file, no difficulty opening it, printing, copy/pasting snippets out, or saving a backup copy or anything like that. I miss not having a paper copy to annotate, but the ease of searching... man, that's nice.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 12/05/07 11:38 PM
Just received my 'FREE' 2008 NEC from IAEI today.

smile
Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 12/06/07 05:26 AM
I'm still waiting for mine but the buzz I am getting on alt.electrical engineering newsgroup is the CD sux big time. One guy said his, new out of the box disk, had a hacked serial number and it would not authorize. He had to jump through hoops with NFPA to get it going. As much as I change hardware I don't want something I have to screw with every time I do something to my PC. That is why I won't load XP (even though I still have one sitting on my desk). I hear the DRM on Vista was so onerous Microshaft had to back off a bit. It was doorstopping perfectly legal machines.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: 2008 Code book availabilty??? When?? - 12/07/07 05:16 PM
Microsoft backed off on the doorstopping of XP and- just this week- Vista, too. At worst, you'll be blocked from automatic updates. XP with service pack 2 is an extremely nice operating system smile
© ECN Electrical Forums