ECN Forum
445.18 requires a disconnect at the Generator location. I read this to be a Fused or Breaker type . 240.21 Conductors must be protected at the point where they receive there supply. I feel the disconnect also should be close to the generator location. .other Opnions please??
We sometimes put in generators for cell phone equipment, most are Generac sets. These have breakers on the gen-set where the conductors hook to the set, not what I consider accesseble though, they are inside the gen-set cabinet which is usualy locked.
Be cafeful Jimmy by using the breaker that comes with the equipment. It may be considers as supplemental OCP thus does not meet protection requirements. It should state in the lititerture that come with the genset. I am not familar with Generac so you may be right and I may be wrong. The paperwork that come with out to tell you what size of diconnect to install. Also do not be a retard like my self who put the genset leads on the bottom lugs. The genset is the line not the load.
This is a very large Generator and came from the factory without a disconnect on it. Thus the question.Owner wants to install the disconnect same room aprox. 40-70 ft away,
Closer the better, in sight of not to exceed 50 feet.
How do you protect the conductors and the generator from a fault in that 50 feet? Are we assuming a short would stall the generator?
The disconnect needs to be close as practical not to exceed 50 feet. The 50 foot rule is somtimes it is not safe to be right at the equipment or if the equipment is elevated
Show me the Code sections ? 50ft and within sight is in mtrs .This Generator is 13.8 volts .
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
Show me the Code sections ? 50ft and within sight is in mtrs .This Generator is 13.8 volts .

if i am reading this right this is a low voltage or high votlage ??

13.8 volts or 13.8 KV ??

if it is 13.8 KV there is few other rules will show up with this type of voltage i am not too sure where it land but part of it will be not in the NEC

Merci , Marc
It is 13.8 KV and Yes it is part of the NEC as its in a hospital not utilty owned.
I cant find anything about the 50 foot rule you mentioned for HV generators?

Is it in there?

thanks,

Windmiller
I am still not sure how you get past 445.12
Greg,
I am interested to know which part of 455.12?

I have 3 13.8 generators onsite and they come from the load side of the generator breaker control to a buss way over 50 feet away. No protection except at the gen brkr.

Thanks

Windmiller
I think somehow they are trying to tie in 700.12(B)(6) to this application. I'm not sure it applies because the voltage isn't specified and the graphic in the code analysis from IAEI for the '02 code kinda would make one think it would be correct. What do you think Upper?
I feel 240.21 protecting conductors at the source applys unless one of the exeptions is met.Wheither its under 600volts or Medium Voltage .
I can't agree with you Yooper, because of what it says in the scope of 240. It is clear that your code reference in Part II only applies to less than 600v. and since the question deals with over 600v.- then Part IX applies and there is nothing in Part IX that would prevent a remote disconnect as long as the overcurrent was properly sized. The EAB was wrong.
George
Correction Article 240.100 Still requires Protection Via Overcurrent relays or CT"s ,Fuses ,or some type of protective device. So they would have to protect generator conductors that go from generator to switchgear.240.100 A-B-C. alternate location in the circuit.But still In the circuit.Key word is IN.
Ernie- I agree with you on the need for protection as called out in Part IX but my point was that 240.21 does not apply. When this issue came up I couldn't hear what some of the finer details were as I was seated near the rear of the room and the acoustics suck in that room plus some of the speaker didn't have very strong voices. I'm somewhat hearing challenged also so that don't help. It wasn't until I read it here that I realized that we are talking over 600v. Keep up the good work on that Board they need a strong code guy such as yourself. See Ya in December.
I was wrong when I quoted 240.21 Before George. you keep me on my toes! and at my age that ain't easy. you get my message about 2008 code book?
Yep- I responded (I think) It's in the works.
Windmiller Sorry 445.12
I got the impression this did not have any O/C protection at the genset.
Correct at Present NO OC protection at the Gen set.
© ECN Electrical Forums