ECN Forum
Posted By: Ewire88 Grounding Pigtails - 03/14/07 01:03 AM
I am working on a school renovation and consversion of a middle school to an elementary and the old 1930's and 50's parts were razed and the 1995 gym and class rooms addition was left standing and new parts were added to the 1995 part to make a new building. The existing boxes and conduit where left remaining ( wire and devices removed) in the 1995 part and I see no evidence of grounding pigtails and I had to retrofit the boxes with ground pigtail clips when I installed devices. Did the NEC in 1995 require metal box pigtails for bonding?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/14/07 05:07 AM
Were they self grounding devices (little brass clip on the yoke)?
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/14/07 05:19 AM
For some reason I am under the impression that 250.148 is a relatively new code. I may have read that over at the Mike Holt forum.
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/14/07 07:36 PM
I am pretty sure they were self grounding and they were spec. grade and we still have allot of old devices in our job site trailer.I am sorry that I don't know the code that well because I am an apprentice but I am still learning.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/14/07 11:58 PM
"Sherman set the way back machine to 1993"
In the 93 code the 250.148 language was in 250.114, pretty much the same way.
Self "grounding devices" was in 250.74 ex2
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/16/07 12:44 AM
^^

Is this what I have to look forward to (referring to old codes as they change and I get older)? laugh

Ewire, there's plenty of "electricians" out there who aren't familiar with article 250.148. It's good that you came here to ask. Some don't even bother to do that!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/16/07 06:02 AM
I imagine there might be some 1&2 family guys who have never used a metal box. I sure don't see them much in residential.
Yup, some day you will be telling your young guys how it was way back in the olden days when you actually had to put locknuts on Romex connectors and tighten 2 screws.
Then you will get the blank stare and the question "what was this Romex stuff"?
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/16/07 11:02 PM
On the construction site I am working on, I am glad to see everything grounded such as the metal framing beams, cable trays, plumbing and even the metal roofing. We even have a lighting protection service subcontracted. By the way here is a link to the pictures of the jobsite below. Click on the date first that says 2003-06 and the newest part you see is the part left standing and new pics should be added soon and this school should be finished early of next month.

http://www.cmw.osfc.state.oh.us/guest/photoarchive.cgi?9184+
Posted By: Mark20 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/18/07 01:31 AM
just remember 2 important things for surface mounted boxes, first the receptacles must be mounted directly to the box (if you are using an rs cover then you must provide a ground tail) second you must remove at least one of those paper washers that come on the 6-32 screw (if applicable). also if the boxes are flush mounted then you must use receptacles with the spring-type grounding strap.
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/22/07 02:05 AM
I worked in the kitchen the other day and the print calls for all recepticals to be gfi and some of them are not near water and what does code say about gfci's in commercial kitchens?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/22/07 02:43 AM
... that all receptacles shall be GFCI
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/22/07 03:04 AM
Ewire, see NEC article 210.8 for all GFCI receptacle requirements. The 2005 NEC made this change. It calls for ALL commercial kitchen receptacles to be GFCI protected. For single and multi-family dwellings it's different. Just trying to help.

Good luck!
Posted By: Retired_Helper Re: Grounding Pigtails - 03/26/07 12:32 AM
shocked Whoa! Mark20, is anyone still making receptacles with paper (actually, fiber) backers on the mounting screws? The Big "L" (you know who I mean) standardized on plastic some years ago. Varying temp and humidity caused too many problems with the fiber stuff. And, OK, once in a while a changeover mechanic forgot to shut off the backer feed when the strap (yoke) had a grounding clip attached, but QA usually caught that. I apologize for getting just a wee tadd bit off topic. smile
© ECN Electrical Forums