ECN Forum
Posted By: JoeRossi Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 07:18 PM
Can a receptacle be placed directly behind a kitchen or bathroom sink? I have always taken that the 24" and 36" are measured from the edge of the basin. Therefore to me the area inside the edges were restricted.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Posted By: George Little Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 07:35 PM
Joe- the answer is yes to both locations. As a matter of fact the graphic in the '05 code even illustrates it for a kitchen sink. I've always had reservations about locating a receptacle on the wall behind a cooktop above the cooktop but I can't see any restrictions on that either. One could use the inspectors judgment that it would be subject to physical damage (heat) but I guess the inspector could be correct. The other part of the question might be- What would you use it for? That's right there with the restriction on puting a receptacle in a shower (Prohibited by code unless listed for that purpose) I don't even want to know what you'd use a receptacle in a shower for.
Posted By: JoeRossi Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 07:46 PM
Thaks, if you look at the illustration of Figure 210.52 it shows space behind the sink. I came across a sink with about 2" of counter top behind it and a receptacle directly behind the facut. I felt it would be more dangours if someone wanted to use it. Other than a safety factor, I do not see any code that would inhibit it.
Posted By: George Little Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 09:06 PM
We do have a little bit of a safety net here with GFCI protection required for these locations.
Posted By: yanici Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 09:45 PM
I was on another forum where a member wrote in. He was on a job for a guy who had a large rental complex. It seems that this owner wanted a receptacle on the wall directly above each electric range. He couldn't seem to get how a cord would end up in the soup. The electrician was trying to appease this guy because he gave them a lot of work. Never did hear the final outcome.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/27/06 10:03 PM
Ughck! Amperage flavored soup!

I have never in my life seen a receptacle placed directly above an oven range on purpose.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/28/06 01:12 AM
They used to sell elecgric ranges with a NEMA 5-15 receptacle built in.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Receptacle Placement - 10/28/06 01:30 AM
Code doesn't consider the sink to be countertop space, so I'd tend to think that a receptacle behind the sink, while not prohibited, might not count towards the 24/48" requirement. Kinda splitting hairs there, though.
© ECN Electrical Forums