ECN Forum
Under what "name" do I find this cable. Basically a fire rated URD. This is for onstallation of a residential service from a disconnect/meter at a pole to go directly into the house and to the main panel.

Is the cable I should be looking for RHH and/or RHW or is there something different???

Thanks.
Mike
URD is Underground Residential Distribution.
A medium voltage (15KV- 35KV) cable used for underground residential transformer feeders.

Do you mean to say USE?
What I am looking for is a URD type cable that I can take directly into the house to the panel. But yes I guess I mean USE as the URD terminology is not really used anymore.

Inspector is telling me that I cannot use USE to go from to pole where the meter/disconnect is mounted directly into the house to the panel (in conduit). That I have to use a fire rated type USE.

I guess my question is whether or not that is RHH and/or RHW and where in the code can I find more info on this situation?

Thanks
The UL listing for SERVICE CABLE (TXKT) is the place to determine the acceptability of your cable. USE cables cannot enter inside, as they have no fire/smoke rating.

UL lists Types USE and USE-2 cables for underground installation including direct burial. But, they are not suitable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment or metering equipment.

The UL listing includes the following: "Type USE cable contains conductors with insulation equivalent to RHW or THHW."

Sounds like you need to either change wiring just outside the house, or terminate at the meter enclosure, then change to SE cable prior to entering the house.
© ECN Electrical Forums