ECN Forum
Posted By: ShockMe77 Where in the code... - 06/16/06 02:19 AM
...does it say that meter pans shall be located on an outside wall and not in a basement in a single family dwelling?
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Where in the code... - 06/16/06 02:30 AM
i think that is a local poco policyl. In the book I have says outside.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Where in the code... - 06/16/06 02:49 AM
I see the real issue as being the amount of service conductor in the building before the disconnect. If this is a meter/disconnect assembly, installed at the "nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" (per 230.70(A)(1)) I don't see an issue at all.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where in the code... - 06/17/06 12:09 AM
Shock:

As said above, it's a POCO (PSE&G/JCP&L) requirement; not NEC

Years back, it was 'common' to install meters inside (basement/garage). IMHO, one of the reasons is efficiency in reading the meters; think of the time saved!

Now, readings by infrared remote, and over data lines, and wireless are becoming common.

PSE&G green book is the place for their specs, and First Energy (JCP&L) website for theirs.

John
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Where in the code... - 06/17/06 02:28 AM
Ok, thanks. I thought it was a POCO issue and I was right.

Thanks again for your input, John.

I know I ask alot of silly questions, but hey, if I don't ask them I'll never know, right?
Posted By: Steve T Re: Where in the code... - 06/21/06 01:36 AM
I have not heard the term 'meter pan' before, is that the term you meant to use or a spelling error? I have heard of meter cans. Just curious about the term use.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where in the code... - 06/21/06 09:53 PM
Steve:
"Meter Pan" must be a 'Jersey Term', I've heard it since I've been in the trade. (35 yrs)

John
© ECN Electrical Forums