ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 12:22 AM
I know this sounds strange, but where do I find information on why breakers need handles?

I know the question would arise on how you would lock them out, without handles, but I think I have that figued out. Where do I find this requirement?

UL listing?
Posted By: Dave T Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 01:17 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm, No Handle. no ability to reset and close the breaker. Then the breaker must be replaced when it trips.
Go with fuses as they are easier to replace.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 02:02 AM
well how about the old Pushmatic brand of circuit breaker, they didn't have handles...
Posted By: George Little Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 03:01 AM
I guess it depends too on your definition of a "circuit breaker". When I look up the definition in Article 100 I would say "No circuit breakers don't have to have handles". It could be a device that will be resetable by pushing a button.
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 04:25 PM
How about this circuit breaker?
It doesn't have a handle and it resets itself.

http://www.aquavolt.com.au/persistent/catalogue_images/categories/225010.jpg

[This message has been edited by mkoloj (edited 06-02-2006).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 09:16 PM
I bet it's rated only to 32v.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/02/06 10:53 PM
Hmmm. thermal reset?? Forklift??

OK, Dave.....
You talking about 'big' breakers with removable leverage handles??? Or are you talking about 'small' cb's with toggle type handles??

NO, I'm not being a wise guy, and not because I owe you one; I just don't get your drift.

Stay dry!
John
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/03/06 11:36 AM
John, I was pondering a thought that had to do with digital breakers, and using X-10 technology. I had the thought that a breaker had to have a handle for some reason..

I am thinking about a digital push button,(on-off) with a key for lock-out....
Posted By: iwire Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/03/06 02:36 PM
Square D makes 'Power Link' breakers which are otherwise normal breakers but have the ability to open or close the circuit by remote means.

However the handle does not move, the remote opening and closing is done internally.

I can not imagine that in the near future we will be seeing 'handless' breakers.

To many accessibility issues along with tradition.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/03/06 07:53 PM
if memory serves me right, UL standards require that a breaker have some means of indicating a trip, as well as re-setting it. As another mentioned, there are breakers that use a push-button for this, rather than a handle.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/04/06 11:04 PM
Dave:
OK, now I get it.
As Bob said, Sq D has Power Link.
And, you have the shunt trip option on many other brands, but not 'remote-ON' that I'm aware of. ST indicates trip at the CB, and the handle does the reset.
Your key lock setup seems to cover LOTO...but as Bob said...tradition.
I wonder why?? Push-A-matic went by the wayside?? Heck, I even have some OLD 3-pole Bulldogs laying in the shop.

As to UL, Reno's on the track...trip indication, reset capabilities, etc.

John
Posted By: JBD Re: Do breakers need handles? - 06/05/06 05:30 PM
Very few circuit breakers over 2000A have "operating handles". They are almost always operated by Open and Close pushbuttons. Trip indication is usually provided by a "flag" indicator.
© ECN Electrical Forums