ECN Forum
Posted By: Reel-Break code reference please - 06/01/06 04:31 PM
Can someone refer me to the section where I can run from 1 bath room to the second provided no other loads attached.I`m refering to the 20 amp recp. Is it 210.11c3? It doesn`t come out and say that you can run from one bath to the other if nothing else is attached to it.I know if lites or other loads are used it`s only allowed to serve that bathroom.I have this GC that wants to see it.And after reading it it isn`t all that clear here I guess the word ( outlet)s is the key?Thanks in advance
Posted By: Roger Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 05:15 PM
Reel-Break, you are correct, it is 210.11(C)(3).

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s).
This sentence does not prohibit receptacles in more than one bathroom from being supplied from the one "bathroom receptacle branch circuit"
Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
This sentence would prohibit outlets other than bathroom outlets from being supplied by the "bathroom receptacle branch circuit" or circuits if you chose to install a circuit per bathroom..

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
This exception makes it clear that the circuit could supply receptacle outlets in more than one bathroom, but if the circuit supplies lighting outlets as well, it would be necessary to limit it to a single bathroom.

Roger
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 10:16 PM
Interesting subject.

I dislike what the code allows here. I believe it's a horrible design to have one GFCI device control an additional receptacle even if the other recpetacle (that's protected by the GFCI device) is on a different level of the dwelling.

It's a design issue in my opinion.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 10:29 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but I imagine that the survivor of a real-world GFCI-tripping event would not have convenience be their primary concern.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 10:31 PM
Upon further thought, would you insist on having a sub-panel on every level of a house?
Posted By: Roger Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 10:37 PM
There is nothing requiring a GFCI circuit, individual GFCI receptacles can be installed in each bathroom.

Roger
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: code reference please - 06/01/06 11:59 PM
Basically the quantity of GFCI receptacles within the bathrooms of a McMansion are dependent on $$$$$$$$.

Four bath house, GFI in powder room, branch to #1, branch to #2, and then to Master with 2 receptacles.

Same basic house, 'custom builder', GFI in each bath, still one circuit.

Larger McMansion, 2 powder, 4 full, & huge master....direct line and GFI in EACH.

Kitchens vary also, from basic two GFI's to all GFI's.

It's design, it's spec, it's all NEC compliant, and it's ALL $$$$$$

John
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: code reference please - 06/02/06 12:57 PM
Larger McMansion, 2 powder, 4 full, & huge master....direct line and GFI in EACH.

Is that where Ronald McDonald lives?
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: code reference please - 06/02/06 01:53 PM
If I were you I would not run from the load side of the first bath room but run it from the line side. Then the home owner won`t have to run into the other bath to reset it.
Posted By: earlydean Re: code reference please - 06/02/06 07:08 PM
You do realize that you would lose the GFCI protection by feeding the second bathroom's receptacle outlet from the line side of the GFCI receptacle, don't you?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: code reference please - 06/02/06 11:08 PM
Ryan:
Sorry, but no! I guess that's a Jersey term only.

Reel:
OK, but then you need a GFI in each bath, right??

Earlydean:
I think Reel is aware of that, and installs a GFI in each bath.

FYI:
The GF trip & reset house bathroom tour, although annoying to the HO, can only be compounded by......two (2) 1800 watt blowdryers 'on' at the same time?? That's a trip to the basement, garage, or sometimes the 'sub-panel'.

John
Posted By: e57 Re: code reference please - 06/03/06 07:06 AM
"that's a Jersey term only"

Na, McDonalds are global, and so are thier mansions. All the same getting cold on the rack.... With little to no real taste. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: code reference please - 06/05/06 01:02 PM
Well I`d think you`d put a gfci in that bathroom as well. At least we do.We don`t skimp on convinence.Most times if we do run to the additional bath on the same cir. its generally a bath not deemed to be used much. If its for say kids bath on another floor we generally have it`s own 20a cir.
Posted By: tdhorne Re: code reference please - 06/06/06 06:14 PM
I'd like to see a rule prohibiting the control of receptacles by GFCIs located in another room except were it is combined with the circuit's Over Currrent Protective Device.
--
Tom Horne
© ECN Electrical Forums