ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/20/04 03:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this cable?

Looking for all temperature ratings, and type of fires, etc?
Posted By: therain4 Re: Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/20/04 06:47 PM
Where is this cable in the 2005 Code? By the way I love the new page numbering system.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/20/04 06:54 PM
It's in just about all of the low voltage/limited energy articles, such as 725, 760, etc...
Posted By: Ron Re: Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/20/04 09:08 PM
It has been in the code at least one cycle already. I've specified it, and it seems to be ok. You can use CI cable for use with or without raceway, and CIC for use with raceway. The manufacturer that was low bid was http://www.vitalinkcable.com/
but there are others.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/22/04 04:29 PM
Thank you Ron, very helpful link!

I searched the 2002 NEC and found the following areas where Type CI is included, but did not look at the 2005 yet.. I think there may be more locations:

Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cable used in fire alarm systems to ensure continued operation of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions.

(F) Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cables suitable for use in fire alarm systems to ensure survivability of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions shall be listed as circuit integrity (CI) cable.

Cables identified in 760.31(C), (D), and (E) that meet the requirements for circuit integrity shall have the additional classification using the suffix “CI” (for example, NPLFP-CI, NPLFR-CI, and NPLF-CI).

FPN No. 2: One method of defining circuit integrity (CI) cable is by establishing a minimum 2-hour fire resistance rating for the cable when tested in accordance with UL 2196-1995, Standard for Tests of Fire Resistive Cables.

(G) Fire Alarm Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable. Cables suitable for use in fire alarm systems to ensure survivability of critical circuits during a specified time under fire conditions shall be listed as circuit integrity (CI) cable. Cables identified in 760.71(D), (E), and (F) that meet the requirements for circuit integrity shall have the additional classification using the suffix “CI” (for example, FPLP-CI, FPLR-CI, and FPL-CI).
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Circuit Integrity (CI) Cable - 12/22/04 04:30 PM
Thank you Ron, that's a very helpful link!

deleted duplicate

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-22-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums