ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Sharing grounds - 02/21/06 03:52 PM
When running multiple circuits from a panel to a juction box then splitting circuits off from there. I only need one ground to the junc box (sized to the largest conductor) then tie the rest of the grounds to a ground bar or lug from there. I don't need indivdual grounds for each circuit, unless its a GFI circuit. Correct?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sharing grounds - 02/21/06 05:17 PM
Are you talking about equipment grounding conductors? Then yes, you just need one, sized to the largest O/C device.
The GFCI question confused me.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Sharing grounds - 02/21/06 06:24 PM
I don't know what a "ground" is. Are you asking about the grounded conductor or the equipment grounding conductor?
Don
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Sharing grounds - 02/21/06 08:14 PM
Yes, equipment ground conductor. Not the neutral.
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Sharing grounds - 02/22/06 06:43 PM
Yes, equipment ground conductor. Not the neutral.
Then I'd say your original question gets a yes answer but I don't see how the circuit being GFCI protected has any bearing on the question of the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Since the EGC does not pass through the sensing mechanism of the GFCI having only the one would have no effect on the GFCIs performance.
--
Tom

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 02-22-2006).]
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Sharing grounds - 02/23/06 01:01 AM
Your right, I probably don't need a separate ground for the GFI either, (neutral yes) but not ground. I'll just run the 3 - #8's for the spa heat pump to the pool equipment area junction box and branch off for the pool pump and GFI ground from there. I could run the motor frame bond wire there also. Where do they usually run the motor bond wire?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sharing grounds - 02/23/06 02:52 AM
The only place you need an insulated, unspliced EGC is to a pool underwater light J box.
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: Sharing grounds - 02/24/06 06:25 AM
"then tie the rest of the grounds
to a "ground bar or lug"

how about some big blue wire nuts?
i have seen grounding conductors split bolted b-4, is it legal or smart for that matter to put several under a split bolt?

h20
Posted By: sponge Re: Sharing grounds - 02/24/06 12:53 PM
[quote}
i have seen grounding conductors split bolted b-4, is it legal or smart for that matter to put several under a split bolt?

h20

[/quote]
Nope. Split bolts are not listed for this use.
John
© ECN Electrical Forums