ECN Forum
Posted By: Edward NM cable and crawl space - 12/17/05 11:27 PM
Does the code require a running board within 7 feet of a crawl space entrance to protect the NM cable?

I thought that section only applied to attic space.

Thanks
Edward
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/17/05 11:51 PM
334-15c doesnt say anything about the enterance to the basement, just that if you run against the joists, it must be in a bored hole, or on a running board.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 02:25 AM
What exactly is a "running board"? NEC doesn't define it, and Webster only uses that word in reference to trucks...
Posted By: gfretwell Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 06:45 AM
There are several examples of running boards in the handbook
Posted By: Edward Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 02:31 PM
I understand if it is a finished basement. As 334-15 (C) requires and as 334-23 to 320-23 in attic spaces.

But my question is about crawl spaces.
What do you think? Is a guard strip or a running board required?

Thanks
Edward
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 10:10 PM
I guess you have to describe to me what you call a crawl space then. If it is under a house, I call it a basement even if I have to crawl on hand and knee.

I would still say you need a running board, or bored holes.

Steve, a running board is a board run perpendicular to the joists and wires(smaller that 2#6 or 3 #8) are stapled to it.
Posted By: jwhite Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 11:06 PM
334.15(C) says unfinished basements. so we have to define a basement.

there is a mention to crawl spaces under requirements for gfci. 210.8 (A) (4)
so the code does recognize a difference.

haveing spent a few days in a crawlspace, i say it is very different from a basement.
Posted By: Edward Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/19/05 11:51 PM
I describe a crawl space where you crawl on your stomach most of the time and rarely on your knees and hands.

A basement is where you can walk around.

Edward
Thanks
Posted By: yaktx Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/20/05 03:01 AM
If you have to spend any time worrying about whether or not you are about to lay your head down on an animal carcass, you are in a crawl space. I've never had that feeling in a basement.
Posted By: e57 Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/20/05 07:54 AM
"I've never had that feeling in a basement."

I think that soley depends on the cleanliness of the basement in question...

Anyway, reguardless of basement, attic or crawl space, it is accessible, and exposed work, even if the client is not going to go in there... 334.15(A) says follow the surface of framing or running boards... (B)"shall be protected from physical damage where necessary..." So IMO, if it is an accessable basement, attic or crawl space, and you would know of it being accessable, seeing that you are in it, it could be subject to damage, or become a hazard for the next guy down the line. I think 334.15(B)+(C) would apply... If it is accessible it is exposed work...

In an attic type crawl space 320.23 would apply... As 334.23 would direct you there for "accessible attics or roof spaces"

So where is this "Crawl Space", above below or through the building?
Posted By: Edward Re: NM cable and crawl space - 12/26/05 08:38 AM
It is under the building. One has to crawl on their stomach if need be to go under.

Edward

I am scheduled for another inspecton on the 5th of Jan.
I will keep update then.
© ECN Electrical Forums