ECN Forum
Posted By: Frank Cinker Minimum size service - 11/20/05 12:15 PM
Is there any section in the 2005 NEC that requires a minimum size electric service for dwelling or non-dwelling applications? I'm aware the local AHJ or power company may require a minimum size. My question has to do with the 2005 NEC only. Is it based on calculated load only?
Posted By: George Little Re: Minimum size service - 11/20/05 02:02 PM
Look at 230.42 and then go to 230.79 for further info as they reference in (B). There is no change from the '02.
Posted By: DougW Re: Minimum size service - 11/20/05 04:45 PM
The only (perceived) problem you might have with the PoCo is on the drop/lateral - they'll size to their estimation of demand, as opposed to your Code requirement calculated conductor size. Just remember, they operate under a different book than we do. [Linked Image]

A customer of mine wanted the ITE Pushmatic 8 spot panels on each side of his duplex upgraded to 200A modern panels (30 space GE) each when he added AC to the units. The AHJ allowed me (based on his load calc) to run 3/0 (maybe it was 2/0) up the riser, but the PoCo left the existing drop alone, stating that they didn't see enough of an increase in demand to warrant a change in conductors.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-20-2005).]
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: Minimum size service - 11/20/05 06:37 PM
Thank you for the Code references. My question has been clearly answered.

[This message has been edited by Frank Cinker (edited 11-20-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums