ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Panel -Juction Box - 10/31/05 11:38 AM
Can I use the old 100 amp, 20 circuit main panel as a juction box on a 200amp service upgrade where I will be changing the location of the panel?

I'm moving the panel 4 feet to get the needed working clearance. I'll strip out the guts of the panelboard.

I know I've seen this done before. I want to know if it is code compliant?

shortcircuit
Posted By: Tiger Re: Panel -Juction Box - 10/31/05 12:30 PM
It is a box designed for electrical wiring. I consider it OK as long as you can't open the cover by the hinges, and that you consider derating if you run all the circuits in one large conduit between the two.

Sometimes it's a more attractive installation to have some 4X4 junction boxes over the old panel for the short wires, and pull the long ones into the new panel.

Dave
Posted By: electure Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/01/05 12:03 AM
Why can't you open the old panel by its hinges?
Posted By: e57 Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/01/05 01:37 AM
Many inpspectors here will allow a panel to be used as only if you screw the door shut, so wiring isn't exposed throught the breaker KO's. They won't accept breaker KO'seals/blanks as many easily fall out. Some will go as far as to have you write on the panel (Now j-box), "No breakers or fuses inside."
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/01/05 02:01 AM
If you could come up with a blank cover for the cabinet it isn't a breaker box anymore.
That would be a cleaner installation.
Posted By: electure Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 11:08 AM
Then would that leave a hinge-cover wireway or gutter in the same boat?
I can understand this in the case of a panel that doesn't have any door on it.
The marking is a good idea, and I've screwed many of the doors shut myself.
I just didn't understand the logic behind its being a requirement.
Thanks
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 04:47 PM
I have been reading the code book for 30 years and haven't yet found any requirement to screw the cover shut when turning it into a j-box. Now you could find lots of codes that pertain to other things that could be redily misaplied to this such as listing requirements and protection from physical damage, etc, but it realy is not prohibited in any way.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 08:45 PM
I don't think it's much of a stretch to consider the gaping hole left by the absence of breakers an "unused opening".

Then Article 110.12 (A) would apply.

Dave
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 09:40 PM
It's interesting that breaker blanks are acceptable when the panel's buses are hot, but not okay when they're dead.
Posted By: DougW Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 10:16 PM
+1 for the idea of a blank cover. I don't know if the OEM make them - it would probably be a job for a local metal fab place - but I think it would be a cleaner look.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/02/05 10:43 PM
Doug, the time and effort spent getting a panel cover fabricated will not likly be recovered in the job. In my opinion it would be an un-needed expense. Screw the cover shut and be done with it.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/03/05 12:14 AM
I agree this isn't the kind of thing you would have made special but if you could come up with a part number of a cover that would work it would be worth doing. How many cabinet sizes are there? Nobody said it had to be a perfect fit. You might have to drill a couple holes [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Panel -Juction Box - 11/03/05 12:41 AM
There a metal fab place that would make a blank cover for me if I wanted one, make me a new panel conver with hinges too if I needed one.

Anyway... Would a hinge be an effective grouding path? Even with hinged gutters they are at least thumb screwed shut...
© ECN Electrical Forums