ECN Forum
Posted By: Kelley co detectors - 10/22/05 09:48 PM
Have you guys run into issue with co detectors being required when there is a direct vented gas or oil appliance i.e. fireplace or boiler etc.

I just ran into this the other day when the inspector came thru for a rough inspection on a new house he brought it up to me. Though he said it was not in our code but the plumbing code. Does anyone have any info or code refs on this. Thanks.

I'm in Massachusetts.

Kelley
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: co detectors - 10/22/05 11:13 PM
Here in NJ CO detectors have ben mandatory for a while.

Building with fuel burning appliance, or attached garage.

Hard wired, or battery are OK
Enforced by the Fire Sub-Code Official

John
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: co detectors - 10/23/05 02:35 AM
Where I am (on Long Island, NY) they are required too, and must have some specific Features.

I don't have the actual wording available, but (from memory?) they must be hard-wired (120v) and have a digital display that shows accumulated exposure to CO.

Bill
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: co detectors - 10/23/05 05:22 AM
are these smoke/co combo or just co detectors? if smoke/combo rough inspection how would the inspector know?

here in wa there is no requirement for co detectors but have to agree that it is a good idea or mandatory canary ownership.

h20
Posted By: Ron Re: co detectors - 10/23/05 01:54 PM
Bill,
Here's the state law.
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/part1225.htm
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: co detectors - 10/23/05 06:52 PM
Ron,

Interesting, thanks for the info. That is a bit different than the information we've been given about these things. My info may be dated, (or wrong) but we were told CO Detectors had to be hard-wired in new construction, and some towns even required that special affidavits had to be filed when these were installed.

Bill
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: co detectors - 10/27/05 12:56 AM
Kelly, I too have been told of this new revision to NFPA-54 Chapter 10 (10.8.3)

It has been in effect since the end of July, I've been told.

It pertains to direct vent appliances, mechanical-vent heating appliances or domestic hot water equipment , where the bottom of the vent terminal is installed below four feet above grade.

There is more to the amendment and I did a search but came up with nothing?

I'll try to get more info tomorrow...

Also there is Nicole's Law under the making which will require a CO detector in all public housing units by Jan 1st 2007.

In memory of Nicole Garofalo, who died in her Plymouth home this past winter when a snow drift blocked the vent for the furnace...

shortcircuit
Posted By: GTE Re: co detectors - 10/27/05 02:54 AM
Bill,
Suffolk County requires hard wired in new Construction.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: co detectors - 10/27/05 04:20 AM
Suffolk County requires hard wired in new Construction
GTE,

I know the Inspectors ask for it, but I'm now wondering where that comes from and if it's a legitimate requirement. The NYS Law Ron linked to says that Cord and Plug, or Battery-Operated units are allowed:
Power source. Carbon monoxide alarms are permitted to be permanently connected to the building wiring system, connected by cord or plug to the wiring system, or battery operated....
Posted By: Ron Re: co detectors - 10/27/05 11:14 AM
Shortcircuit,
Here's the text from 10.8.3
NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code 2006 Edition
10.8.3 Installation.
10.8.3.1 Non-recirculating direct gas-fired industrial air heaters shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
10.8.3.2 Non-recirculating direct gas-fired industrial air heaters shall be installed only in industrial or commercial occupancies.
10.8.3.3 Non-recirculating direct gas-fired industrial air heaters shall be permitted to provide fresh air ventilation.
10.8.3.4 Non-recirculating direct gas-fired industrial air heaters shall be provided with access for removal of burners; replacement of motors, controls, filters and other working parts; and for adjustment and lubrication of parts requiring maintenance.

I don't see any reference to carbon monoxide detection in the document.
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: co detectors - 10/28/05 01:29 AM
I have a written copy of the revision in front of me but can't get it converted to file form to post... [Linked Image]

Until then??

shortcircuit
Posted By: GTE Re: co detectors - 10/28/05 09:47 AM
Bill,
This is Suffolk County not the state.
They also require the digital read-out.
This is only for new construction.
Posted By: Ron Re: co detectors - 10/28/05 11:55 AM
This doesn't seem to be the actual code reference for Suffolk County NY, but it is some type of compliance document. http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/Health%20Services/WWM075.pdf
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: co detectors - 10/28/05 02:13 PM
Ron,

You are the Man!! [Linked Image]
I was looking for some paperwork I had on this, but gave up.

GTE,

I know what you are saying, I'm in Suffolk too and have always adherred to the same rules.

Until recently I would not have questioned it, but I've been told that for these requirements to be legal and enforceable the Towns, or County should have petitioned the State to have these requirements made into Law. If they did that it would have been listed as a more restrictive local standard

I'll still follow the guidelines as we know them, but the legality of them (and some other local requirements) may be in question.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-28-2005).]
Posted By: Admin Re: co detectors - 10/28/05 02:51 PM
posted for shortcircuit:

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums