ECN Forum
Posted By: Yoopersup Low Voltage Wiring - 10/06/05 07:43 PM
Question
Do most states require a licensed Electricans to do low voltage wireing:
A.C. , Furnance controls, Engery control system ect??I;m not talking smaller sytems or replacement items. I;m taking about Schools, businesses ect . Say 24 volts and under??? Just curious???
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/06/05 09:01 PM
Florida requires a license, they do have a low voltage license.

[This message has been edited by LoneGunman (edited 10-06-2005).]
Posted By: George Little Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/06/05 09:44 PM
Depending on what type of "Low Voltage" wiring you are talking about. If it's Class 2 wiring for instance like for a furnace thermostat, my answer is yes, it requires a licensed electrician to install the wiring. If it's communication wiring then they are exempt from licensure in the State of Michigan per Public Act 217- 338.887 Sec. 7(o). In both cases, the wiring is required to be inspected (hence a permit) per Michigan Electrical Code 80.19.

There is sometimes a snag in issuing a permit to an unlicensed person and this is being addressed at a State level for the '05 Michigan Electrical Code.

Hi Ernie
Posted By: BEAMEUP Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/07/05 12:00 AM
WA state does.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/07/05 04:14 AM
Florida does seem to ignore HVAC techs running thermostat wire.

... and garage door techs running "eyes" and switches.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 10-07-2005).]
Posted By: skingusmc Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/07/05 06:23 AM
Yoopersup -

In California you need a C-7 Low Voltage System license.

Steve
Posted By: GalwayElectric Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/08/05 04:15 PM
In regard to these licenses for low voltage, am I correct in assuming that an Electrical Contractors license from any of these states would supercede these low voltage licenses?
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/09/05 04:56 AM
Galway, if its the state issued EC license then your assumption is correct. If its an ER license, registered electrical contractor which is county or city issued then no, they cannot do alarm work in Florida.

I'm originally from Bergen county also.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/09/05 01:31 PM
Galway:

Yes, your NJ EC Lic is all you require.

BTW, WELCOME to another 'Jersey Guy"

John
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/12/05 12:22 AM
Hey John,

We have another Jersey boy out there! See I am still here too. Though I don't get here as often as I like! Should we tell them how Jersey is Lic. everybody these days? [Linked Image]

HE
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/12/05 12:27 AM
Harold:
As soon as I get myself organized again (just finished moving).
Got the DSL thing going, got the lap top on, by the end of this week (I hope), I'll have my stuff where I can find it quick>

BTW, LV is a real 'money-maker'; both for the EC's and the Towns (Permit Fees).

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/13/05 02:49 AM
How many AHJs require permits for things like lawn sprinklers and Malibu lights?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/14/05 12:35 AM
Greg,

Here in NJ even the Low Voltage (LV) things are suppose to have a permit. Most of the time it is just a minimum permit fee which could go from $25-$75 .(I guess) the price of permits have to do with the amount of permits per town. A town like John's may do 2000-3000 permits a year. His prices may be lower than mine. Of my towns I work for 1 town does 1100 - 1400 permits a year. Their permit fees for min is about $43 for up to 50 outlets. My other town which only does about 250 permits per year, their permit fees for minimum is $50 for the first 35 outlets. That means that their prices for the total bill will be higher since they do less permits.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/14/05 12:43 AM
Sorry, I wasn't watching who I was replying to.
John,

Yes the LV wire will add to profits for the towns. Plus I will go out on any inspection that is called for.

Greg,
Yes, here in NJ all the LV wiring including sprinklers. BA/FA alarm systems are also required to be inspected and the LV boys have their own type of Lic. and they can only do their own LV wiring. BTW, most HO do not get permits for Malibu lights because it just plugs into a recpt. and the LV wires just get buried under some mulch. Should the be inspected? In NJ the answer should be Yes, (I believe) However are they always called in for inspection???
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/14/05 01:49 AM
OK, quick & dirty......

2004 was 4600+ permits, not including updates or Change of Contractor.

'05 looks about the same; '03 was 4850+

Minimum fee is $35 (1-10 devices), $80-11/50; $105-51/75 etc., a HVAC replacement, etc. The fees are a bargain in my personal opinion.

As to LV permits:

REQUIRED:
Phone, computer, alarm (burg/fire), CCTV, speakers, access controls, lawn sprinklers.

The 'Malibu' lites are debatable.....plug em into an existing outlet, lay the wire on the mulch.......

'Professional' LV lighting installs, hard wired xfr, etc, REQUIRE permits.

Best one of all is a CUBICLE permit is required ($8.00 each) in addition to the 'whips' on the elec permit. That's a local ordinance, not UCC. Heck, the 1st guy I told this to had 320 cubes in an open office reno.....$ 2560 KA-CHING.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/14/05 02:58 AM
I see little difference between Malibu and lawn sprinklers (both just plug in) and they both seem to be installed by the homeowner or lawn maintenance guy around here. I don't think they ever get permitted/inspected unless it is new construction.
I agree alarms are a little higher up on the food chain and they do need "qualified" installers.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 10/14/05 11:41 PM
Difference is a $35 fee...had a irrigation sys inspection last week.....50' oraange extension cord stapled along the garage walls from controller to exist outlet; steel bx conn on cord; nice splice in the first 20' of the ext cord.

Guy called in afternoon "what's wrong??? been doin' it like that for years!"

John
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Wiring - 11/10/05 02:38 AM
Greg,

You should know me by now. Should the LV installer have a Lic. and get inspections. Well YES. Do they, well, NO. The state on NJ will require people to get a lic. for LV and they want them to call for inspections. However you and I and John know that sometimes? Mostimes? The inspections are never called in. As John said, the fact that some electrical items, "Just plug in", des not mean that they are installed right. We ca only hope that they are! [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums