ECN Forum
Posted By: Joey D sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/26/05 01:00 AM
Do you guys ground the panel or the meter? Why
Posted By: Jim M Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/26/05 01:17 AM
I can only ground the panel. The utility prohibits having a ground in the meter socket.
Whichever is easier.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/26/05 03:18 AM
We can't put anything in the meter base except service conductors either. It would be the perfect place for the GEC: outside. Our meter bases even include a lug on the neutral for it.

So we have to make an extra wall penetration, or run the GEC through the same hole as the service entrance conductors, and down the wall from behind the meter (nobody's complained yet).

*heavy sigh*
Posted By: Joey D Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/26/05 11:39 PM
I was asked to bond the panels together on a 2 gang socket where I ran the sup ground to the meter. I would have thought using the buss bar in the meter socket would have been a better install. If I just hit the panel as I usually do and jump them out I would have been fine but the though of a time saver entered my head
Posted By: macmikeman Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/29/05 05:07 AM
Do any of you guy's ever use combination meter main sockets?. Maybe it is because I live in a no snow zone, but seems easier to put the disconecting means right at the meter socket. I never did have to go out in the snow to reset a main though, that probably would ruin anybody's day.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/29/05 09:44 PM
I never have, because (a) the POCO provides them gratis, and (b) an outside disconnect isn't required on all jobs. A 200a main cost's under $100. Hpw much is a typical 'meter-main'?
Posted By: macmikeman Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/30/05 03:07 AM
Larry, I would say probably right around $110 bucks, but the way materials keep going up, in an hour or so it might be closer to $150 bucks.... Power company in my area does not provide us anything free these days. Now they insist the customer supply's and installs their own 2'x4' sidewalk boxes in the public right of way sidewalks. They used to tell us to install ditch,and underground conduit with string only up to the property line. They will then bill the customer for the wire which they install. I would also.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/30/05 03:10 AM
The reason I mentioned meter main boxes is because they have multiple lugs on the load side of the can which are bolted to the neutral bus. Usually very easy place to terminate gec's and acceptable to both poco and the ahj.
Posted By: livetoride Re: sup. ground in meter or in panel - 08/31/05 02:06 AM
Used to be the inspectors had to have the ground on the lug in the main. They just changed and the ground has to be on the load side. No notice; just tell me the rules and I will play by them; QUIT changing the rules with no notice and let them make sense. Rod
© ECN Electrical Forums