ECN Forum
Posted By: GTE Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 01:39 AM
Inspector says that article 680.21(4) only applies to pool motors. If a pool heater is connected to this circuit it can not be fed with NM cable within the interior of a one fanily dwelling, it would have to be in conduit. Why would a heater make a difference?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 02:07 AM
The inspector is right. 680.21 does just apply to "motors". If you really want to argue with him, ask him to point out the section that specifically describes the wiring method to a "pool" heater.
The pipe rules are in 680.21 "motors", 680.23 "underwater luminaires" and 680.27(A)(2)"underwater speakers".

Heaters show in in 680.26 "bonding" but not in the branch circuit wiring articles as far as I can tell.
Posted By: George Little Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 03:46 AM
Greg- Just a point of interest, the heater for a pool if located more that 5' from the pool is not required to be bonded unless it's an electric heater.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 04:03 AM
If you had a pure gas heater or a solar heater I agree but most gas heaters have electrical loads and I think that makes them "electrical equipment".

680.26(B)(4) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, ... shall be bonded
Posted By: Tiger Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 12:04 PM
The gas pool heaters I've seen have no electrical connection, just as a home gas water heater has no connection (unless there's a vent fan).

Dave
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 04:28 PM
Mine (Sta-Rite Max E Therm) has an electrical igniter, a blower and an electrical gas valve that is interlockled with the pool motor along with an interface to the pool control computer, if installed.
The instructions say it should be bonded.
A lug is provided for the purpose.
Posted By: George Little Re: Pool Heaters - 08/16/05 10:03 PM
Greg- 90% of the guys around here bond the heaters too, but if they don't I don't say anything unles they have electricity associated with them.

Question? Is a power pile system considered to be electric? I think I've become the inspector I used to dread when I was a contractor.
Posted By: Rhino Re: Pool Heaters - 08/17/05 05:54 AM
George
It speaks well of you that you're remembering your days of contracting and i'm sure that you're able to focus on true safety issues rather than the letter of the book and its most stringent interpretation.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/17/05 05:57 AM
"Power pile system"?
Posted By: George Little Re: Pool Heaters - 08/17/05 11:27 AM
Greg a Power Pile system is a system that involves a gas valve and a millivolt operated pilot light safety. Hold the spring loaded button down and allow gas to flow to the pilot light and once the bimetal sensor probe (in the flame) is heated up it generates enough voltage (millivolts) to keep the pilot light solenoid energized and thus the main gas valve and associated thermostat will operate. Standing pilot goes out-and this would prevent the main valve from operating and no gas escapes or creates any hazard. Around these parts, this is refered to as a Power Pile system. Might be a slang expression.

I would not see this as an electric pool heater needing bonding but they bond it anyway.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/17/05 08:51 PM
Ah a thermocouple. I agree this is not "electrical equipment".
All of the pool heaters I have seen have some sort of blower and they also connect to the pump so they won't fire up if the pump is off. (along with a pressure switch)
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Pool Heaters - 08/17/05 09:01 PM
And some other gas heaters have flow sensors.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Pool Heaters - 08/23/05 12:27 AM
OK, Here is one for you. The above ground pool is ALL Plastic ( what do you bond to?) There is a pool motor (with a ground lug) and there is a propane gas pool heater with a bond lug. (Which should be bonded to the motor and pool) The EC was afraid to just connect the motor to the heater. He was afraid that the electric might leak back to the large propane tank. ( which BTW is connected with a copper pipe!)Plus if there was current leaking from the motor to the propane tank, and someone disconnect the "Empty" propane tank, would it go Boom? Or would it attract voltage to this large metal propane tank sitting on the ground. Any thoughts?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/23/05 01:27 AM
You still bond the deck, rails and any metal in the water path, including the heater which will be bonded to the tank by the gas code I imagine. In 2005 you will be bonding pavers.

All of this gets grounded via the pump and light EGCs

The whole theory of bonding is that there won't be any voltage gradient. That works as good for sparks as it does for shocks.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Pool Heaters - 08/23/05 01:37 AM
In 2005 you will be bonding pavers.

Now how the heck do you bond pavers?! [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/23/05 01:53 AM
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002086.html
Posted By: harold endean Re: Pool Heaters - 08/24/05 01:11 AM
Greg,

The deck is wood, the whole pool, inculding top and bottoms rails ( according to the EC on site) is plastic. The only metal within 5 feet is the pool motor and the propane pool heater.
What would you do? Bond heater to filter? The state told the EC to do just that, plus the state told the EC to tell HO to install an insulating fitting betwee the propane tank and the pool heater itself. this way no voltage could get back to the propane tank.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Pool Heaters - 08/24/05 01:55 AM
The guy who enforces
the gas code owns that tank. If it is not within 5' of the pool and water doesn't go through it, we don't care. If there is nothing else to bond you are done. I think we try to make this too hard sometime.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Pool Heaters - 08/24/05 07:48 AM
gfretwell:

Thanks for the link! Now it makes sense to me. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums