ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls bell box - 07/27/05 06:49 AM
correct me if im wrong but you have to flush mount a recepticle (i.e. cut in box).
a recepticle outside a house cannot be in a bell box since that would make it surfaced mounted.

cant seem to remember where in the code i read that years ago when a buddy of mine was written a correction for that.

anybody know nec ref #?
h2o
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: bell box - 07/27/05 06:53 AM
correct me if im wrong but you have to flush mount a recepticle (i.e. cut in box).

should be more specific the required outdoor grade level recepticle must be flush mounted.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: bell box - 07/27/05 06:58 AM
I don't thiiiiiiink sooooo.. Some houses are built up on columns or poles to get up above the flood zone mark. They still need to have 2 grade level accessable exterior receptacle outlets. Ever seen a flush plug in a creasote soaked pole?.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: bell box - 07/28/05 12:23 AM
Code only requires that there be a receptacle, front and rear. It doesn't say where- they can be flush, surface, even away from the house (as in mounted on a column).
Posted By: e57 Re: bell box - 07/28/05 02:07 AM
Funny, I am in the middle of correcting most of houses wiring where the guy obviouly had no clue...

Flush mounted Bell boxes! Yes, reccessed bell boxes!

Anyway, 210.52(E) doesn't say surface or flush. Where I'm at, you don't need one for the front... Otherwise the homeless will camp out watching TV on your doorstep. (It happens!)
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: bell box - 07/28/05 02:39 AM
Funny, I am in the middle of correcting most of houses wiring where the guy obviouly had no clue...
Flush mounted Bell boxes! Yes, reccessed bell boxes!
WHY DON'T YOU READ AND COMPREHEND E57?
i didnt say recessed bell box:
a recepticle outside a house cannot be in a bell box since that would make it surfaced mounted. see this site is to lean not criticize e57..... but you are a legend in your own mind...

h20
Posted By: e57 Re: bell box - 07/28/05 03:16 AM
Sorry for the missunderstanding h2o...

I know you did not mean recessed bell box!

I said "Funny" I am dealing with a place that has them.... Not exactly easy water-proofing.

And yes, 210.52(E) doesn't say surface or flush.

There is no requirement for it to be on the surface that I know of, or for it to be in a Bell type box, just a weather-proof cover.

And yes, I am THE center of MY own Universe.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: bell box - 07/29/05 01:15 AM
Do "Bell" boxes exist any more?
Posted By: JBD Re: bell box - 07/29/05 01:54 PM
Yes,

Bell is part of Raco which is owned by Hubbell. Here is their website: http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/raco_bell/index.asp
Posted By: renosteinke Re: bell box - 07/29/05 10:58 PM
h20....It may be hard to believe, but I have also encountered recessed "bell" boxes. The most recent was installed in a bathroom, where the light switch usually is.
What's hard to believe is the amount of work necessary to do this...then cover it with a standard faceplate!

Funny thing about this trade....the longer you're in it, the more crazy stuff you see! Heck, I've heaped so much sarcasm on various DIY'ers and hack 'handymen' that I don't have any left over for my friends at ECN! :-)
© ECN Electrical Forums