ECN Forum
Posted By: giddonah SER next to vent stack? - 07/20/05 11:15 PM
I'm stuck looking for a route from a basement to an attic for a 100A subpanel. I'd rather not run conduit up the outside. Can I run SER next to the vent stack? That would provide the simplest, cheapest, easiest way to do it, but you know how that usually ends up...
Posted By: giddonah Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/20/05 11:17 PM
sorry, forgot to mention that it's a 100yr old house (new 200A in basement) and the stack looks like cast iron.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/21/05 12:07 AM
You can do this.
Posted By: giddonah Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/21/05 12:23 AM
Sweet. Is this allowed in the code or just not addressed? I've been looking for a while now.

[This message has been edited by giddonah (edited 07-20-2005).]
Posted By: Celtic Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/21/05 01:20 AM
I don't think you'll find many references to plumbing in the NEC.
A chase is a chase is a chase.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/21/05 09:46 AM
The code is not a design manual. It does not address every possible scenario of an installation that might come up. Would you normaly not run wiring near plumbing?
Posted By: giddonah Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/21/05 01:09 PM
Normally, I'd just run it around plumbing, but this is a bit more than a 20A circuit just crossing a pipe's path. Stranger things happen, I was just making sure, never did it or saw it before. I guess I won't have to say that after this.
Posted By: BobH Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/22/05 02:27 AM
Rookies. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: giddonah Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/22/05 01:16 PM
"Them guys are ok, harrassing newer members is one of the rules on that site." - BobH

Self-fulfilling statements now Bob? [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Little Re: SER next to vent stack? - 07/22/05 09:47 PM
All persons on this site need to have a sense of humor or they don't stick around. Speaking of problems with running wires near stacks etc., I was trying to thread conduit on a location in Nebraska where I had to run a cord accross a set of RR tracks and the threader was running real slow and overheating till I propped the cord up with a 2x4 and got it away from the RR tracks.
© ECN Electrical Forums