ECN Forum
Posted By: triple 620.55 - 07/13/05 11:34 PM
Does a sump pump plugged into a receptacle in an elevator pit fall under 620.55?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 620.55 - 07/14/05 12:18 AM
IMHO, based on the text....yes.
Anything within the 'pit' must be able to be locked 'off'.

John
Posted By: dmattox Re: 620.55 - 07/14/05 12:47 AM
You sure you want the sump pump plugging in the pit? We always run a conduit out of the pit and plug-in in the equipment room.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 620.55 - 07/14/05 01:33 AM
Dmattox:

OK, now I have to ask...are you saying you put the cord from the sump pump thru conduit & plug it in outside the pit??

Article 400 states the 'cans' & 'cannots' for cord; that sure sounds like a cannot.

Elevator techs/mechanics around here would not enter a pit like that; and the Elevator Inspector would not be a happy camper.

John
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: 620.55 - 07/19/05 06:08 AM
how about hardwiring it with a breaker lockout on sub panel. dunno never put a sump in pit before.

h2o
Posted By: electure Re: 620.55 - 07/24/05 11:34 AM
I run long (OEM) cords through 1-1/2" or 2" conduit for the power and controls for sump pumps.

[Linked Image]

I'd be interested to hear of another method that would be safe and reliable.

Hot Line?
Posted By: Roger Re: 620.55 - 07/24/05 08:18 PM
The receptacle is not utilization equipment.

If it were intended for this receptacle, or any Hoistway receptacles and lights to be downstream of a disconnect, it would be specifically addressed the way 620.53 addresses lighting and receptacle(s) on the car?

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-24-2005).]
Posted By: dmattox Re: 620.55 - 07/25/05 01:29 AM
I think this is a case where the code is lacking, or I cant find a section that address it.

How would you handle the picture that electure shows with a hermetically sealed pump with a 50' cord. Break the seal and hardwire it? Install a GFI in the collection well?

Elevator installers around here require a conduit for the pump. We have specialized state inspectors that charge around $2,000 for elevator inspections along with the city inspectors. None have ever batted an eye at the cord ran through the conduit.

I would be open for a suggestion that didn’t require an outlet in what I would consider a hazardous place, or breaking the seals on pumps.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 620.55 - 07/25/05 04:17 AM
Electure:
The 'opinion' refering to Article 400 can/cannot is a much debated item here. I see your point; a piece of equipment with a OEM cord as you describe is not an issue in my opinion. If that were the case, then we would have all hard wired pool lights, right?

THe argument is the use of cord as "permanent wiring method"; like wiring from a j box to a strip light; 'drops' in warehouse areas; etc.

No, I did NOT mean break a seal on a sealed pump. All the elevator jobs I have seen have a sump pump receptacle located within the pit, and a note requiring lock-out.

John
Posted By: earlydean Re: 620.55 - 07/26/05 01:52 PM
400.8 Uses not permitted.....
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code.

400.14 Protection from Damage....In industrial establishments where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, flexible cords and cables shall be permitted to be installed in aboveground raceways that are no longer than 50 feet to protect the flexible cord or cable from physical damage.

Seems to me that your sump pump cord conduit in the picture is not aboveground.....
Posted By: Roger Re: 620.55 - 07/26/05 10:47 PM
Why would a factory supplied cord on a pump be any different than a pool light furnished with a cord?

Back to the earlier questions, if any receptacle or light in the pit was intended to have a disconnect ahead of it, they would be specifically addressed the way they are in 620.53.

620.55 would be addressing other hard wired equipment, maybe a unit heater for example.

BTW, why would a receptacle to serve a sump pump be any more of a hazard than the required receptacle in 620.24?

Roger
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 620.55 - 07/26/05 11:29 PM
OK, now I have to add...

How about a pool light with a 100' cord? That's underground for sure.

Recently on a resi elvator, the spec called for a 'safety switch' (lockable) to cut out the 120 volt control, and one to cut-out the GFI in the equipment room. The last comm on we did, a 3-pole disco for "all" 120 volt circuits in the 'pit'.

Electure's point was taken, and yes his install would be acceptable.

John
© ECN Electrical Forums