ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 04:49 AM
Posted for George Little:

I have a question that may not be relevant in all States but here in Michigan they just adopted a version of the energy code that affects recessed lights in the insulation envelope of a residence. Is it equivalent to use an air tight recessed can with a open trim and/or a IC can and a trim that has the letters "AT" in the model number. I have had no experience with either.

Posted By: leland Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 06:09 AM
In Massachusetts,Yes. The 'AT' Is an enclosed fixture housing.
These must be used on the upper floors (attic) and between tenants (over under).
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 07:09 AM
I do know in State of Wisconsin do required AT { air tight } for any area where it will be in concat with insulating materals { it don't matter if batt or blow in type }
And in France they just adopted not too long ago as well for recessed cans I do belive they have few additonal code requirement as well.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 03:13 PM
Air tight cans with matching (AT) listed trims.

Posted By: George Little Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 05:13 PM
The issue that I am asking about has to do with the contractors using IC cans and then using AT trims. The claim is that the trim gives them the required energy code requirements. I have to believe that the trims used on the cans need to be Listed for use with that can and vise versa. I think the installer should be using AT cans in the insulation envelope to comply with the energy code and the can should be finished off with an AT trim.
Posted By: leland Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/09/09 05:32 PM
The way I understand it (I'll research more),One or the other or both will meet the standard.

Not an Inspector.
Posted By: ChicoC10 Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/10/09 01:54 AM
We've been ICAT here in CA since the October 2005 revision of Title 24.

I just heard tell of old partner installing all 80 IC (non-AT) cans in a new residence. As it turns out the inspector will let him fly with just AT trims.

I've used both since the revision not knowing I had an option.
Just as well as I like the finished product better.
Posted By: leland Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/10/09 03:03 AM
Still looking!

What a PITA. Ma Web sites.
Posted By: George Little Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/10/09 12:39 PM
I'm still checking also Leland, I should be getting something kinda official from Cooper Industries (Halo Lighting) on the compatibility and interchange of their trims with the cans.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/11/09 03:53 AM
George/Leland:

Went to Cooper/Halo website & poked around. I used the H7ICAT, and went to trims. 4 were on the spec page (trims) and 3 were OK for that can; 1 was not.

Looks like a spec sheet trail is going to be needed.

BTW, who checks to see if the gasket/caulk is properly installed after shtrock & before trims????

George, you're killin me
Posted By: leland Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/11/09 04:00 PM
---Looks like a spec sheet trail is going to be needed.---
mad We have an inspector nearby, That looks for the lighting paper work on site (floor,trash etc) then reads it to check for compliance.

Needless to say,We clean up nicely in some cases. whistle
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Question About Recessed Lights - 02/11/09 09:42 PM
A clean jobsite? How about the guy with 'sins' above the drop ceiling who leaves a ladder there??

© ECN Electrical Forums