ECN Forum
Posted By: jpfarren Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 01/04/05 11:53 PM
When using single-station devices (and multiple-station) in dwelling
units designed for hearing impaired, how can I accomplish visual
signaling in a bathroom or kitchen? The smoke/strobe device is not
suitable for those environments.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 01/05/05 06:25 AM
ok for the visual waring devices,

in kitchen area i wondering if you can mounted on the wall or ceiling area near the kitchen where you have open space area without any objects prevent the light flashing around the area and i will suggest to use the relay kit but for one thing i am not sure what type of manufacter you are using it either Kiddie or Firetech [ hope the spelling is right ] or the other one one of the three company and you can run it remote [separted from main smoke alarm] in diffrent location and bathroom i am sure the remote will work but check with the AHJ for the specs. [ they might have a idea with it ]

myself i hard of hearing so i can get a idea how it can set up main thing you want to put it near center of the room if possible and the other thing becarefull with picking the strobe light instensy level they do come in few diffrent strenth [ brightness] so check it out and get brightest one i think over 75 or more cd [instendy] you may have to check the catalog book for more info with it

hope it help

Merci, Marc
Posted By: jpfarren Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 01/05/05 02:20 PM
Marc,

Locating a smoke detector near a kitchen or bathroom is going to result in false alarms. So, I'm trying to locate a notification only device (no detector).

There are walls around the kitch and bathroom, so the smoke alarm in the hallway is not visible.

The smoke alarm companies have multiple-station smoke alarms, but no strobe lights.

Without the presence of this kind of product, I'm trying to find out how people in this industry have accomplished visual signaling?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 01/06/05 02:14 AM
ok i will suggest try this website i found few of them but i am not sure if that suited to your needs:

Simplex Grinnel
www.simplexgrinnel.com

Kidde Resdentinal and Commercal
www.kiddeus.com

Reliable Fire equmpient
www.reliablefire.com

that what i know of for now but i will dig up more info if you request it.

keep in mind there are few diffrent version of smoke/fire alarm types so you may have to dig around a little

in Kitchen/Bathroom area i really recomond to use the photoelectric eyes they will handle pretty good with that everment for other area use the other type i am not sure how it called like izonation type i think if i get the word right.

It is not bad idea to wire up a remote lighting device to work with smoke alarm but make sure you have a relay kit for it

Merci, marc
Posted By: dlabrenz Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 02/13/05 01:57 AM
you may want to check with someone who stocks "firex" brand smoke detectors. I beleve they have a kit for adding remote visual devices to their smoke detectors.
Posted By: Malcolm Brown Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 04/07/05 08:44 PM
You may wish to install a thumper, which vibrates, visually impaired people can feel the pulses.
Posted By: Paul O'Connell Re: Fire Alarm Strobe Light - 12/03/05 06:14 PM
Most manufactures provide a fire strobe. This is a unit that provides both the strobe and the audible signal. I am sure they are available in both wall and ceiling mounted units.
© ECN Electrical Forums