ECN Forum
Posted By: coachman Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/08/04 09:18 AM
I am bidding a job that includes installing Exit/Emergency Lighting in a hoagie shop.
Does anyone have a link for spec-ing?
Are they required in restrooms?
Small ofice (6x6) within a larger office?
Spacing fixtures along 40ft wall?
Minium candle power? etc, etc

Regards,
Jim
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/08/04 11:50 AM
Jim:
The UCC (5:23) has basic requirements for em/exit lighting.

Your local Fire Sub-Code is the guy to talk to as to exact locations.

Bathrooms are a 'tough' call, some twp want it, some seem to care less.

What about the job plans?? CH is probably a Class I town and should require sealed, signed drawings??

John
Posted By: coachman Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/08/04 02:40 PM
This job is in Philadelphia.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/08/04 04:28 PM
Better check with the PFD, stop in at any local station and they will be more then willing to help you.

I dont think philly does it yet but some towns are beging to require you to also install them at floor level. So that one can see them while crawling through the smoke. As a firefighter i am ALL for this. You will never see them at the top of the wall through the smoke of an average fire yet at all in a smokey one. Regardless check with the fd.

Here i did some of the leg work for you this is the PFD web site; The contacts section.
http://www.mfrconsultants.com/pfd/contact_info.shtml

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 12-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 12-08-2004).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/09/04 02:53 AM
Coachman:
Sorry your profile said NJ. Still, contact the Fire Official or Fire Dept.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

John
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/09/04 11:15 AM
Check in the Life Safty Code 101...chapter 7 covers emergency lighting and exit signs.

shortcircuit
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/09/04 02:29 PM
Generally speaking, emergancy lighting is required in spaces or buildings where two exits are required. That would mean bathrooms aren't reqiured. The emergancy lights must put out 1 foot candle at the floor level.
Posted By: Paul O'Connell Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 12/03/05 06:02 PM
coachman:

NFPA 101 Life Safety Code will answer all these questions for you.
Posted By: trobb Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 06/09/06 07:39 PM
Firstly, let me say that I am only experienced in res. work, so commercial fire codes are out of my league. However, having an emergency light in the restrooms might be nice- wouldn't want to be on the can and have it go black. To me, that would be a tad unnerving.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 06/09/06 09:37 PM
Firstly, let me say that I am only experienced in res. work, so commercial fire codes are out of my league. However, having an emergency light in the restrooms might be nice- wouldn't want to be on the can and have it go black. To me, that would be a tad unnerving.

True...but not exactly an emergency, is it?
Posted By: earlydean Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/24/06 07:49 PM
The "means of egress" consists of three parts: exit access, exit and exit discharge.
Building code requires illumination (emergency lighting) to one footcandle for the entire means of egress including the exit discharge. (IBC 1006.1) There is no exception for rooms with only one exit door that I can find.
Your restroom would need lighting of at least one footcandle, just like the rest of the building. What doesn't need any lighting is rooms where no one is present, like a closet.
You may not need an emergency light in any specific room if light is dispersed through a window where emergency lighting is present, or other openings that would achieve the same effect.
One footcandle is not a lot of light. Cut a half-moon over the door, and you are OK. [Linked Image]
Posted By: eprice Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/25/06 02:36 PM
earlydean,

True, there is no exception to 1006.1 for rooms requireing only one exit. But that section covers the normal lighting in the building. 1006.3 is the section that covers emergency lighting. That section lists the locations where emergency power is required for lighting. Rooms that require only one exit are not on the list.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/25/06 05:35 PM
I beg to differ with you.

The titles:
Section 1006: MEANS OF EGRESS LIGHTING
Section 1006.1 Illumination required
Section 1006.2 Illumination level
Section 1006.3 Illumination emergency power

Section 1006.1 covers the illumination for MOE lighting, not normal lighting!!!!!

But now, I have to eat a little crow.

Section 1006.3 goes on to list areas needing emergency power for illumination:
1) exit access corridors, passageways and aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more MOE.
2) exit access corridors and exit stairways located in buildings required to have two or more exits.
3) exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.
4) interior exit discharge elements in buildings required to have two or more exits
5) the portion of the exit discharge immediately adjacent to exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

And we all remember which buildings and areas need two or more exits: those with an occupant load of more than 50. (I know, it is a lot more complicated than that: Spaces in occupancies H-1,2&3 = 3; H-4&5, I-1,3&4, and R = 10; and S = 30, spaces within floors need two exits if occupant load exceeds 500, and buildings consider travel distance too)
Posted By: earlydean Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/25/06 05:39 PM
Bottom line:

Restrooms and other spaces not requiring two or more exits do NOT require any emergency lighting.
Posted By: eprice Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/30/06 04:12 PM
Section 1006.1 covers the illumination for MOE lighting, not normal lighting!!!!!

Sorry, yes Section 1006.1 does cover means of egress lighting. I was using the term "normal lighting" in the way that it is used in NEC 700.12(F) meaning lighting when not supplied by emergency power.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 08/30/06 07:24 PM
700.12(F) covers unit equipment. This is emergency power supplied by an individual battery to the lights, not "normal" power either.
Posted By: eprice Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 09/01/06 05:45 PM
A partial quote from 700.12(F):

"...The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be the same branch circuit as that serving the normal lighting in the area....".

700.12(F) is not using the term "normal lighting" to mean that it is not egress lighting. It simply means the lighting in the area when not using emergency power. I am trying to explain to you that I was using the term "normal lighting" in the same way when I made my first post in this thread.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Exit / Emergency Lighting - 09/01/06 07:52 PM
got it! (finally)
© ECN Electrical Forums