ECN Forum
Posted By: rknikko Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 03:05 AM
Can I move the existing panels from the basement to the ground level public hallway in a 2 family house. I'm doing this because I am moving the existing meters from the basement to the outside of the house? Normally, the panel will be in the tenant's unit, but in this case I am not sure whether it can be installed in the hallway or not. Please help. Thank you.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 03:11 AM
I don't see any reason why not. You should be fine. [Linked Image]
Posted By: dlabrenz Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 03:43 AM
You may want to check and make shure that this is not a 1 hour rated wall. If it is, you will not be able to mount this panel in the wall. If it isn't rated, then I don't see a problem.
Posted By: rknikko Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 03:49 AM
What is a 1 hour rated wall? How can I tell?
Posted By: earlydean Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 06:57 PM
You can tell because the sheetrock (Gypsum wallboard) will be type X, and usually two layers. Type X has a different shade to it, somewhat darker than non fire rated sheetrock. In a two family, so long as you stay away from the wall that separates the two apartments, you should be OK. If it is, you can still manage by boxing your panels in with a rated partition. Remember to seal all penetrations with rated fire/draft caulk.

Earl
Posted By: Roger Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/23/04 08:21 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you permitting this work?

Being that this is a "public" building or atleast not just your residence, you should have this work performed by a licensed electrical contractor.

You did not list your occupation in your profile.

Roger
Posted By: electure Re: Panels in public hallway? - 02/29/04 08:43 PM
Look at the plans to find rated walls.
Not just at the "E" sheets.
Try the "A" sheets. Very often I've found discrepancies between the "E" and "A" sheets.
BTW, in court, it will be the "A" sheets (reflected ceiling plan) that take precedence...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-29-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums