ECN Forum
[Linked Image]

NEC working space violations are clear, but what about the other systems used here, do they violate some other rules?

Also, how does the Mechanical Code cover the required rooftop receptacle and protection for the thermostat wires?
Joe, I know it's common to see stat wire tied to the mechanical piping, and I've never heard of it being tagged.

Roger
Roger:

That's true and is permitted by the NEC:

300.11(B)(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely for the purpose of connection to the equipment control circuits

My question was related to a rule I remember being in the UMC calling for protection in a raceway.

Personally, I don't like seeing the thermostat wires installed as you describe, and as the code will permit, because it can be cut easily and may be the cause of a loss of life when someone is relying on AC or Heat to stay alive. That's one of the reasons why those circuit cannot be put into the same raceway as described in the reference in the FPN to 300.3(C)(1) .....
© ECN Electrical Forums