ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin What do I have? - 10/22/12 02:40 AM
My daughter recently purchased a house built in 1927. I just removed this outlet and no one in my area has ever seen one like it before. It was the only one like it in the house. I found the photo and information on Wikipedia of the similar 5 way outlet and am wondering if anyone has any additional information about this. The outlet is marked GE, 15 A 125 V, hasthe UL logo and appears to be polarized. The house has the original knob and tube wiring.

I would appreciate any additional information you would have on this outlet.

Thanks,

Gordon Green

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: thiggy Re: What do I have? - 10/24/12 05:43 PM
What is behind the five-way receptical cover plate?
Posted By: Rookie1 Re: What do I have? - 10/24/12 07:19 PM
Don't know. that is the only photo of it on Wikipedia and the only copy about it.
Posted By: thiggy Re: What do I have? - 10/24/12 09:31 PM
Oops, I didn't read your OP carefully. I see now that you do not have the receptical itself, but posted a photo from Wiki.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What do I have? - 10/24/12 10:22 PM
Looks something similar to 'desbar' devices from back in the helper/apprentice days gone by.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: What do I have? - 10/24/12 11:32 PM
Not quite - as far as I know, Despard devices were modular straps that accepted up to 3 devices on a 1-gang yoke.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What do I have? - 10/25/12 01:24 AM
Tex:
Yes, the 'newer' versions have 3 locations, as the receptacle devices are "U" ground. I was refering back when the receptacle was 2-prong, non-grounded.

Posted By: harold endean Re: What do I have? - 10/29/12 08:26 PM
John,

I remember seeing those despar devices. I also remember that they use to cram a lot of wires into small boxes. Then they would solder the splice, then use rubber and friction tape.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: What do I have? - 11/02/12 06:50 AM
I took the photo of the 5 way outlet seen above, wa2ise asked me if he could use it on the wiki article and I obliged.. The outlet came out of an old 1928 house in East LA, CA that I did a partial rewire on. It's a Monowatt brand, it's all one piece unlike a Despard device.
Posted By: Frank DeWitt Re: What do I have? - 11/06/12 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by thiggy
What is behind the five-way receptical cover plate?

I have one of those. The "cover plate" and outlet are one.

The back is closed with plastic except for two screws. BTW There is one on Ebay right now

BBTW I have a duplex outlet that is clearly designed to flush mount WITHOUT a box.

Frank
© ECN Electrical Forums